SRS Depression = Gone.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kwattro, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Kwattro

Kwattro The box. You opened it. We came.

Fish oils + sunlight + diet + activity.

Major credit to Dr. Mercola @ mercola.com

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Same here. New diet + excercize did way more for me than any meds could.

I still see a therapist every now and then for CBT but I can live day to day no problem and actually enjoy myself as well.

3. Budha

Budha Guest

haha those are the essentials man. Minus the fish oils, I think thats bs.... Just exercising and going out and doing things makes you feel better and they make you produce endorphins.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Mild depression does indeed respond to this stuff. For more severe depression this stuff combined with medication improves your outlook greatly over just medication.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The fish oil is NOT bs, several studies have shown it to work even better then anti-depressants. Most of our brain consists out of fat, and people who eat a lot of fish (comparing japan who eat the most fish to any given country) significantly suffer less from depression then those who don't.

We all know there are no miracle cures, but the results have been very positive so far + fish oil = cheap, so its not asif you waste thousands of dollars if you would give it a try under professional supervision.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

8. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

It's amazing how much sunlight alone can do. I find my mood is on average much better during the summer when days are longer than during the winter. I hate it when, during the winter, I wake up and it's dark outside and by the time I'm done with work/classes it's dark again and I basically go through the whole day without seeing the sun. :wtc:

Cliffs: I hate winter :madfawk:

9. Pringles

Pringles New Member

sun is extremely key for me. If I dont see the sun for a month or so I get very sad, slow, and unmotiviated. As long as that guy keeps beating on me I'll keep fighting back. Luckly I live on the coast where it's always out. Plus it pulls me outside and that also doesnt make me sad. But I will agree excersise + sun + food will generate you towards a happier life IMO.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm totally solar powered! If I don't get enough sunlight I really get down. I can even tell when it's been tooo long...like long rainy periods.

11. JohnMI

JohnMI New Member

I know what you mean. I work overnights, so basically when I get off work in the winter, it's dark out, and when I wake up after sleeping most of the day it's either dark or starting to get dark out.

12. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

This is definitely related to both.

Lube your cawk with fishoil and give her surprise sex on a sunny beach and your depression = gone.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I still have problems with this part. I know my depression is not mild and has never been, yet I really have a hard time with taking medication for it. I KNOW I need to go back on it because nothing else works (although I haven't tried the fish oil thing), I just have a really hard time knowing that I need the medication.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

1g works, 2g doesn't, 4g works great?

Sounds like a very preliminary study, with a whole lot of noise.

That being said, I'm gonna start taking this stuff on the off chance it might prevent problems with coming off Lexapro.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is a really common problem. Its the moral weakness theory of mental illness, and it is ressponsible for enormous amounts of needless suffering. I dunno how to help people get over this, as its a really stubborn belief with heaping doses of shame.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

'Depression' in this context means 'clinical depression.' 'Clinical Depression' is not equivalent to sadness. Its more like numbness, and is what happens when extreme sadness persists for more than a month.

You sound sad, not depressed.

17. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It isn't really shame so much. I am not ashamed to admit that I deal with depression, I am ashamed to admit that I need medication to deal with it properly (so I guess it is partly due to shame :o ). There are so many people in society who think that people who are depressed should just be able to "snap out of it" as if they CHOOSE to be depressed. That is what I have a problem with.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah well, get over it. You're either a prisoners to the negativity of those around you, or you're free and happy. Choose freedom and happiness, and do what you know is right for you. Its not like anyone has to know...

19. Kwattro

Pills blow. After I was diagnosed, and started talking about it, I began to find out all these other people in my life were taking meds for depression. I became aware that there's a ton of people downing pills to alter their mood. Personally I found that wrong on a few different levels, so I started some research and found the oils and their benefits. Been on them a year and I'm back to my old self, even if I slip on my sunlight, diet, and activity I'm generally OK. If I forget the oils I can catch myself sliding. The fish oil I take is 90% Atlantic Salmon and 10% Mackrel, I take it with my multi-vitamin each morning.

I was on Celexa before and cut that shit cold turkey after 3 months, it fucked me up getting off that shit. Lots of oils helped with that too. I'm down to 1/3 recommended dosage and am "stable". I hope some of you guys can have success with it. Just like the chemical treatments, it took about 4 weeks to notice a significant difference using the oils, so give it some time.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/feb/14/omega_3_depression.htm

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

With mild depression, if someone is willing to exercise/diet/therapy, then pills aren't worth the side effects. But they don't suck. They save lives of people with a more serious case of depression than you had.

21. johan

johan Active Member

Fine, then don't take pills. Start eating salmon. Then, go for a walk in the sunshine down by the shore, and relax.

22. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Well, as much as some good Yellowtail and/or Salmon sashimi makes me feel almost orgasmically happy, I still am going to take Welbutrin, probably for quite a while, if not for the rest of my life.

For mild depression though, I totally support non Rx methods of treatment. Whatever WORKS = GOOD

23. Ore

Ore OT Supporter

i agree wholeheartedly excersice + sun= feel damn good

24. Kwattro

FWIW I didn't have mild depression. Pills do suck, same as having open heart surgery sucks, but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risk and drawbacks so long as it improves quality of live, or even saves one.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Uhhhh, no. Medicines that are harmful aren't used. This is just part of your personal shame and bullshit about having to take medication in the first place. The moral weakness theory of mental illness states that if you have to take pills you are weak and defective. You've got the shame.

Anti-depressants cause zero, or only mild, side effects in most people. Stop the scare tactic bullshit.