SRS depression from my job, thinking about leaving but everyone tells me know

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quamen, Apr 7, 2009.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

I work in a prison about 40 miles from my house and make good money 17 dollars per hr, but i do have BA degree in criminal justice. Being locked in and as a correctional officer i don't really do anything all day. I sit down and monitor the inmates who are out of their cells, and then the other half which come out later in the day, upper and bottom tier.

I always wanted to become a cop and be out their helping people and thought this would be a great starting point. I was happy when i got hired, but i became very depressed quickly. I have no stimulation and feel no sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, because i really just sit down all day. It is the easiest job i ever had and best pay, but i have become very depressed. I cant stop thinking about things and keep saying i should just just run my seasonal business because i make about the same money if not a little more. EVen though it is hard work, i enjoy it and seemed not to worry because i have really no financial obligations because i dont have anything.

The Job is so secure so it is hard to leave, but i feel like my health is more important, but everyone tells me to stay. I try to make the best of the job and joke with the inmates all day, but it is just so repetitive and i feel like im going no where with this job. I need to get my act 120 police academy training to become a cop in most places, but my job wont give me a flexible schedule.

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Can you apply with the state police? I know where I live (Ohio) if a correctional officer is applying with the Highway Patrol, the prision they are assigned to is required to give them flex time to attend training and testing.

In reality, since your BA is in criminal justice, it's not all that marketable for other normal jobs. I would do everything you can to keep your job. Have you talked to your CO about working a different shift so you can go after a LE job?

3. quamen

quamen New Member

i did my since im new, they say i am on swing shift meaning no set schedule so i cant make the classes. I just feel like my business is going to go to shit, because after i built it up over 5 years i really didnt get to the point of having someone run it. I built it up while attending college, so it really wasnt ran to smoothly, since i didnt have the time to devote to it.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Dude....leave. Life is too short to work shit jobs and while $17/hour seems like good pay now, it's actually not that great. There's so much more money out there.

5. roddick

roddick New Member

I agree, should leave if you are unhappy and it is affecting you this much. Besides you said you make as much if not more doing a seasonal job that you like. Go do what you enjoy.

6. Daria

Daria New Member

If you're depressed in your current job, get out. With your education / experience, I'm sure you could find something with similar pay that will be more interesting. Even if it isn't, the change will get you out of your everyday blues.

I had a job that I thought I loved, but was feeling a bit depressed about. An opportunity came up for me to try a similar job, but for a different employer. I was hesitant, but went for it anyways. It wasn't great to begin with, but just the different environment, the new people, and the slightly different tasks were enough to get me out of the depressing monotony my old job would be sometimes.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

With the economic recession its not so strange that people would advice you to hold on to your job, but in the end your not doing what you want to do in life which in return is making you depressed, it indeed may have been a good initial choice to become a correctional officer, i think the step towards police officer from there would be a good one, its strange to say it to a correctional officer but its actually you who needs to escape from jail.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I quit a corporate job after 2 years with 2 days notice. It was literally making my life miserable. 60-70 hour work weeks, no overtime pay, mandatory weekends, like Office Space * 100.

Best decision of my life.

Just make sure you're financially ok for a while if you quit because it's kind of hard to get jobs right now.

9. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I'd say find something else if you can afford a pay cut. If you can't and need to stay, be happy you have a job. People out there are losing their homes and whatnot :hs: Any of us could be in that position tomorrow.

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I did the same back in December. It was a brand new job, I had been there for a month, and decided it wasn't going to be a fit. 60+ hour weeks were the norm, as were weekends. Salaried to, so no overtime. The last straw was on a Friday meeting my boss told us we had to come in Saturday for a full day also. Fuck that shit...OUT.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Were you working in Systems Development, too??

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Nope, corporate accounting.

13. quamen

quamen New Member

not going to miss the 80 mile round trip commute either .. thanks guys

14. quamen

quamen New Member

i cant agree more, and while i had some ups and downs with my business, i was almost always happy and felt accomplished at the end of the day. I also think i have become very stubborn as well, because working for myself the past 5 years i took sundays off usually and had a much more flexible schedule. the prison they are going to put me on middle shift 3-11 which lasts for about 3 years before you can get the 7-3, and days off are in the middle never weekend days.

15. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

Yeah I feel the same way too. I work in a tech support call center making about 15/hr and with call center jobs rarely do people who work here have a good shift. I've been here for almost 5 years which is really an eternity because most people only last year maybe 1 year tops. Thinking about joining the military because this really sucks.

You really should leave especially if you work the afternoon shift and don't get weekends off. I'm sure the day you leave will be one of the happiest days of your life.

16. quamen

quamen New Member

yeah it just sucks and i dont want to be like a complainer, but the job is just not for me. Even though i have some ruff times in business, i always pull through and love being my own boss until i get into the career im happy about.

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Were those the normal hours? I know accountants have a busy season...

anyway good call on quitting. Fuck that shit.

You know, if enough people weren't pussies and actually quit their jobs when they sucked, companies would be forced to make their work environment suck less.

But that will never happen cuz most people are too much of a pussy to quit.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's an eternity in a call center. Before you quit you should demand a promotion.

19. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

If it's really that bad get out man. I know the economy and stuff isn't that great, but there's still jobs to be had. No use working at a place that just sucks you dry.

20. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Yep, it was normal. Their business process was really out of date, everything was very manual. Also only had 3 people doing all the accounting for a $600 million a year company with 25 locations. I would have been willing to deal with it if they had some flexability, they didn't. We were salaried, but didn't have laptops, and the didn't have the ability to sign in from home after hours to do some work. All the hours were in the office, and nobody ever took more than 30 minutes for lunch either, most were around 15-20 minutes. The worst part, they told me during the interview that it was around 40-45 hours a week. :rofl: Yeah right.

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

After my first job, I won't even work for a company where that's an option.

My first company told you to take a laptop if you went on vacation so you could do some work.

Fuck you, it's a VACATION.

If I'm expected to sign in from home even 1% of the time, I will walk out of the interview.

22. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'm the opposite, I like the option. I don't, and won't, work 50+ hours a week if all those hours are in the office, fuck that shit.

23. northw3st

northw3st New Member

i was in a situation like yours about a year ago. i want working at a CPA firm and HATED it. but it was a secure job and good money. well, a year later im doing what i wanted to do. i quit my job and am now a business teacher in high school.

go do what you want. life may get stressful, but worry about that later. you'll be fine.

24. quamen

quamen New Member

I really appreciate the help from you guys. I made my decisison and i am leaving the job. I sold my car so i have no debts, my bills equal about 400 a month or so. Right now i am happy and had a good couple nights sleep just from not being stressed.

I realized money isnt everything, and why do something you do not like, unless you have to do it. I have nothing, so i have nothing to lose, but i am so happy and relieved, but nervous at the same time. Ill take one day at a time, and im sure i will get through. Again, i really appreciate everyone's views on this topic/

25. northw3st

northw3st New Member

great decision. without a doubt, the best decision you've ever made in your life. go do what you want to do. :big grin: