SRS Depression and the effects on the mind

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anaconda', Dec 5, 2005.

1. Anaconda'

Anaconda' New Member

I have never been diagnosed for depression nor have I ever undergone a study for it. Though I have felt bad at times and have my reasons for it. Lonely many of the times for all my friends have moved on to other things and I chose to stay at home and play games all day pretty much. Well I may sound like a nerd of the sorts but i'm studying video game development so i'm studying and playing games analyzing GUI's, stories and concepts.

Part of the problem is lack of companionship thoughout the years. Never really ever had a relationship before in my life of 26 years and I think that might be a contributing factor in this depression that may have engulfed my mind.

The effects on the mind? Has anyone felt effects such as not being able to think straight or solve things as quick as you use to? I use to write stories like crazy with intricate and precise grammer and vocab and now I just ....can't for some reason. Sometimes I feel like a laziness of the mind has taken control of me in totality. My typing is also more flawed than it's ever been and just forward thought in depth of conversations as well. I use to be very very correct on punctuation and speech but now I seem to have a diminished level of it. I know it's hard to diagnose it since noone else is me but has anything like this ever happened?

I'm also about to get into intermediate algebra which I have failed 3 times in school in the past and am frightened of it. I can't seem to get numbers in my head very well when it comes to polynomials, molynomials, all those crazy algebreic problems. I wonder if it's a sort of ADD as well? I use to be a proficient reader as well and from time to time I read and have to read it over and over again to remember it whether its stories or schoolbooks.

My memory has also began to fade a little bit as I forget little things and now big things and I can recognize that I can't retrieve these memories.

Anyone have these sorts of problems?

2. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Are you involved in a workout program? It may sound unrelated, but I felt much sharper, and a whole lot less lazy when I began working out 3 times a week and paying very close attention to my diet.

3. Anaconda'

Anaconda' New Member

Yeah I actually do work out about 3 times a week as well mainly muscle training yet my diet hasn't been so fantastic. Not very fattening diet though either but I do need to watch that as well.

4. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

You haven't had a relationship yet?

I would not be so eager to label it as depression. Like a flower, all sexual people crave the opposite (or same) sex. If you are not involved in the system you may be beginning to fade.

Okay, here I go again. To battle some anxiety and depression that is probally present in your mind, start with vitamin B complex, omega 3, lecithin to increase aceytlcholine levels in your brain to help with your memory problems, and valerian for anxiety. Kava kava is good too if valerian doesn't work so great.

Go find a girl in class. The girl that seems most special to you. There can be more then one. She isn't always the hottest, as the rose has thorns. She must have the characteristic you crave most, for me, innocence.

And, WORK OUT.

I wish you luck.

5. Anaconda'

Anaconda' New Member

Thanks I'll try that out. Not any girls in video game school but I take regular college credit classes next semester so I'll see how that goes. Never thought about not having a relationship could really make someone feel bad. I've always tried to defy it and to remain alone but the curiousity and urge to have someone as a companion lingers and won't go away. Alot of times I feel like I don't look good enough for anyone even though some girls do look at me and think i'm hot but I just can't see it. Sometimes I don't think i'm bad looking at all since i've gone over a complete overhaul on my physical body which i'm now getting more cut and people are looking at me but the thought of me still being not good enough for someone still is there.

I just can't step up the courage to talk to girls at all or anything without the tremendous fear of rejection which also haunts my mind. Bah this turned into a relationship type post now but it might be one of the main contributing factors to the way I feel. I don't have many friends now either so I just feel weird. I've never really had any friends whom shared the same interests as I did so I really didn't have much to talk to my existing friends about other than the same ol stuff an the few interests we do have. I feel bad also cause I don't know what this "love" other people feel feels like at all whatsoever like its a new experience for me never to have bonded with anyone.

But thanks anyway i'll try to get those vitamins and see how those workout to see if they'll help in my struggel for mental accuity.

Ya I do work out and am slim and trim more muscle bulk is setting in but as I said my diet isn't fantastic. :(

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I don't think there's anything wrong as far as chemicals go.. I don't think anti-depressants and such would really help you as much as some more balance in your life in relation to diet and exercise.

Spiritus is on the ball... improving your self-image should help you out.

7. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

If your diet isn't fantastic, change it. What's more important, your body or a sports car? I'm hoping it's your body. If you are a millionaire with a sports car, what kind of fuel are you gonna put in that ferrari? Supreme, nigga.

Well it doesn't take a million bucks to fill your body with supreme food. Do it, notice the difference. It will also increase your bodies mileage before it shits out.

Now allow me to start cutting into you. You may not love what you hear, but you came for advice and this board does not effect your real life in any way, blah blah blah here I go.

I have in the past shoved myself in videogames, at times hitting up to 18 hours a day ingame time with only shitting and eating breaks. Read again - enough breaks to sustain real life while I attended to my virtual life.

My self esteem was at an ultimate low. I looked in the mirror and hated what I seen. The mask of the internet is addictive in nature.

Enough was enough one day, I got shit done. Now I look in the mirror and am somewhat attracted to myself.

The more you get to know yourself or others, the more you become polarized negatively or positively towards that person. If you connect well with a girl, she will indeed become more beautiful, as long as there is some physical attraction. Mark my words, wait for the agreements, the guys here will agree.

As for courage realise this. It's not to late now. But it soon will be. You've had enough time to hide. Cough up the courage. I can't predict the future, I've just come here to give you a message. Find someone and do not give up until you have.

Take some valerian to calm your nerves. Find a girl who seems special. Make casual talk and ask her out to a movie. If you get rejected, tough it out. Don't be a bitch, bitches are weak. Try it again the next day, and the next. How can you fail? You will feel like shit until it snaps, BUT WHEN IT DOES your life will change my friend.

Taste the spices of life before you die. It's kind of hard to do it afterwords.

Vitamins and supplements are your best friends. I take many, and there are many I want to take. And working out boosts self confidence and makes others attracted to you. Most people are attracted to confident people and the ones who aren't are freaks.

How about you go swimming tommorow and then tell me how you feel? Buy those vitamins we were talking about.

You are a new man as of today friend.

8. Jake!

Jake! Guest

I disagree... a good doc, theropy may help; even meds might help you. My doc once said meds can be used as a "jump start" to help you get back into a positive mood.

That is a lot like my problems right now... I started a downward spiral, I lost motivation for school, didn't care to see friends, lost intrest in hobbies... shit i have to actually do some real work now :sadwavey: