SRS Depressed over money.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SoySauciAl, Mar 22, 2007.

1. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Im 23 now with no education pass high school. i have a pretty bad record and with that i probably wont go any farther with schooling. I am although attending community college and taking a business intro class and english. i feel it might learn something from taking some classes but probably wont go for any degree. i still live at home.

school. i feel out of place sometimes. with all these immature 18 year olds around, i feel like i dont belong. i do like my classes very much and feel im learning something from them. but i just feel too old around these kids.. and when people ask me what i want to do, i say i dont know. i really dont. i might continue on after this semester, but i might not. do you think im out of place? how bout going to community college and taking kiddy classes at age 24?

work/career. i work hard physically in the sun.. no shade for 6-10 hours a day. its a killer but i think i could live. i pretty much have a dead end job making enough money so i dont want to quit and find another, but not enough for my spending habits. this job is stable but you can loose accounts for nothing and there goes a day or 2 of work for you.. you can always find other accounts tho. i have no motivation. it seems like im someones bitch. although its 50% of the sales commission and i could make $200-$300 if i really try and hustle, i dont have any motivation anymore.. i just make enough to make my boss happy.. about $150 a day and go home. i dont work as hard but i take my time and do it right.. which i usually missing things or dont do that good of a job when making that $200-$300 a day. i just feel i should be doing a better job, to keep these accounts and make them happy. i dunno.. its really satifying to me knowing i did one hell of a job (i buff cars mainly, thats my job) but i definitly cant make $300 doing a good job, but barely $200 if i rush it a little. it just seems im working way too hard, billing way to much, and sad that im only getting half of it.. on top of material, gas, and expenses coming out of my own pockets. i already made plans to quit and go on my own but im a little scared.. it is hard getting good accounts, i know because it took me forever to pick 2 of them up for the company and you can get drop in a heartbeat. it seems like i expanded my skills, all thanks to personal research , not through the company... the company didnt teach me shit and there method and quality they teach is horrible! besides, i dont have money for a truck that i would need if i do start on my own.. but im working on it slowly.. i already got a registered business name, business cards, and invoices ready to go.. all i really need is a truck; supplies and tools i already got because its mine and paid them out of my own pockets (unless the company wants to fuck me somehow and claims its theres but i hold the receipts). i need some motivation and courage to take it to the next step!

financially.. im screwed. i make enough i guess. i pay $300 for rent, $200 for car insurance, $300 to the company for "licensing fee" bs, about $100 to help out with grocerys, and a lot of gas money for the work van and personal gas gussling car. that is about half of my paycheck right there before taxes.. im consider a independant contractor for the company so i get a straight check with no tax deductions. im still paying off last years taxes! taxes are due next month and i dont even know what to do.. i guess i'll just go on a payment plan again but this needs to end!

i owe credit card companies. i am paying one off because they worked out a pretty good payment plan for me with low interest, so thats cool. then theres 2 i dont even talk to anymore.. all in collections. theres another one that i getting afraid of. they want money.. a large chunk of it right now! we did work something out in the past (about a year ago) which im suppose to pay $750 (which i did) then another $250 (which i did) and then another one and then we call it even.. but after the second payment, it didnt work out that way.. that wanted more! they said this was just to get the payments going and then it'll be an "affordable" monthly payment after that. i told basically told them to fuck off and then stop answering their phone calls.. they stopped calling for a while but now these past couple of months (i guess its tax season and they feel i cant pay them back with my tax return or something) they been calling multiple times a day leaving messages.. i did answer there phone calls before but they were just nasty and unworkable.. just "give us out money!" but in a more professional way i guess. i stopped answering their calls and i've been getting 3-4 messages a day from them all hours of the day. then the last one went something like this... "this is to the head of the household. this is an urgent message! i am about to make a decision that will effect you and dont want to make a negative one! call me back immediately!".. head of household? i dont own a house and they are calling my cell phone. i've been getting this same message for days now.. then today i got something that scared the shit out of me which sounded a lot more professional and nicer tone "this call is for... i am to notify you that there has been an complaint filed against your state and your social. please call me back so we can resolve this complaint before it gets too serious".. but when i call back with a block number.. it is to the same collection agency. :mamoru:. i though it was a lawyer or legal person.
    should i be worried?

2. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

just ignore them. if they are calling your cell, tell them that they are costing you money. It is against the law for them to do this.

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I don't know man, you owe them money. You're not in the right no matter how you want to rationalize it. If you made some sort of deal with them before...do you have it in writing? Any proof at all you can use to dispute them? If not, well...you're shit outta luck. Either way you still owe them money.

If you fuck with your own credit, you're digging yourself deeper. Forget getting future financing to start your business or to get that truck.

Work hard, pay off your debt. There's unfortunately no easy ride.

As far as attending school... if you're in it to seriously improve your career situation, then go for it. Who cares if you're 23. I went back for my 2nd degree when I was 28... I actually had fun because I then had some work experience that gave me a perspective on what I was learning. Made some new set of friends in the process too. Come on...this whole age thing is something high school kids worry about.

However, if you're attending college just to be a career student with no direction. Then you're just wasting money you can otherwise use to improve your debt situation. Once again, you're only increasing your debt problem. Every decision you make should work to shape your life the way you eventually want it to be.

You have to make better choices.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Should you be worried? Yes you should. Collection agencies can put marks on your credit rating that will take many years to clear up. Until they are off, you'll have a bitch of a time trying to get a loan. Perhaps you should seek professional help with your finance. I used Consumer Credit Counseling Service, they are a non-profit org that can help you....look in your phone book for more info.

Regarding your school, you just sound bored. You should find a profession that interests you and work towards getting educated in that.....unless you want to stay a manual laborer your whole life....nothing wrong with that. I know plenty of people that made a nice living doing this. However, if you want a professional career, you'll have to work your ass off.

You get out of an education what you put into it. Ever school requires you to work, you have to put in the time to learn...there are no easy shortcuts. Sure anyone can cheat to pass a test but that's not what school (especially after HS) is all about....it's about training you to work in a profession.

Most schools have placement offices and they can help you figure out a field that interests you. Look into it...they have tests you can take and may help you get motivated.

5. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

yea, you should...i had a similar problem and they could contact your employer and take money out of your paycheck or they could repo something of yours like a car or something else. They can also take you to court if you don't have anything and you could face jail time or a penalty.

I wouldn't mess with them and just try to figure out a solution with them. They are assholes but they can also be a little understanding. They are humans after all.

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

don't let collection agents bully you.

make sure you get any requests in writing from them before handing them a cent.

7. Coottie

Good point...also you have to be careful about collection agents. If you pay them, you could end up still owing the CC company money. I know..it sounds wrong but it happens.

One way to guarantee that this doesn't happen, pay the company that turned you over to a collection agency. Do NOT pay the colleciton agent in full unless they will indemnify you. If the original company refuses your payment, get a lawyer and file a lawsuit to have the entire balance nullified. I'm not a lawyer but I believe if you try to make a payment and they refuse, you may be able to get the whole balance cancelled.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Forget community college, it's a waste of time.

Pick up a trade.

Welders make crazy money. Plumbers and fitters too. You'd probably enjoy working with your hands.

9. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Yeah, make sure that if you settle at a set price (say, $2000 for a $4k debt) get a clause that the original CC company cannot go after that.

Make sure you deal with them in writing. It's your only backup if they break the agreement.

Search the net, there are plenty of sample forms for this sort of scenario.

10. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Should you be worried? DAMN STRAIGHT YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED. You have a LEGALLY binding contract with these companies, and if you do NOT work something out, they WILL take you to court and will attach your wages, and they will legally be able to take 25% of your paycheck before you even see it.

If they send you to collections, you MUST pay the collection agency and NOT the original company. They can contact you via any means possible UNLESS you send them a *very* specific request in writing to NOT contact you.

I would *strongly* suggest you get off the forums and go Google the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) and what collection agencies can and cannot do. You are well on your way to some SERIOUS financial pain.

Depending on your income, if you make LESS than what you have to pay in bills each month, I would strongly recommend you look at filing bankruptcy. I have filed twice, and it's the best thing I ever did at the time. (Once due to loss of job, once due to divorce AND loss of job at the same time!)

Once you hire a bankruptcy attorney, you tell everyone who calls to contact him. You make a note of who you spoke to, what time, and what day. If possible you RECORD the phone call IF your state allows one-party consent of phone recording. Google that. If ANYONE calls you a second time, YOU can take them to court and get fines or your debt cleared.

You REALLY need to go talk to a professional. With all due respect, most of the advice in this thread has been less than accurate and will get you really fucked.

At this point, if it's been going on for over a year, the bankruptcy will be less damaging than not paying these people for years and years.

11. Coottie

Disagree
    Strongly agree.
    Disagree in part.

The contract is between the original company and the individual. Unless these contract has been specifically assigned to the collection agent, ones obligation is still with the credit company. Most collection agents that I've talked with have not been directly assigned the contract but instead have a different contract with the original company (such as a retainer agreement).

In this instance it's perfectly legal to pay the original creditor. I've done this many times then told the collection agent to fuck off. They have no claim against me since I paid in full to the original company.

Now, in regards to my initial post, if the collection agent settles for less than the amount owed, the OP could still owe the original company money...especially if the collection agent wasn't given the authority to negotiate a settlement for less. Yes this is rare but it does happen.

I agree with the do not contact request part tho.
    Yes some advice in this thread is rediculous. However, there is still some sound advice here.

Bottom line...I agree with contacting a pro. These types of problems do not just disappear on their own.

12. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Credit_Reporting_Act

And then things like this:
    http://consumer-law.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer/Do-I-Have-To-Pay-The-Collection-Agency-6003.html

The reality is that you can find out EXACTLY what is legal with the FTC - the Federal Trade Commission - such as here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fdc.htm

There are a lot of laws, and they can be confusing, but if you don't KNOW them you will get fucked for sure.

Go do your own homework. Anyone who gives advice here - even me - can be wrong if the laws have changed since they knew it, or went through it.

Good luck! :wavey:

13. Coottie

Excellent point. Ima go read up on those link to refresh my knowledge...looks like good stuff.

14. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

this is good advice.