MMA Dennis Kang Semminar April 28, 2007; Vancouver

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by itr452, Apr 29, 2007.

1. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Today my brotha Kuet and I went to a Dennis Kang MMA/BJJ semminar. It was pretty damn fantastic cuz we got to see one of our favorite fighters.

Immediately after parking I said "woot, we're gonna see dennis kang" then in the corner of my eye, i see a rather huge dude walking our way. Our other buddy that came with us said "fuck mang, that's dennis kang".

In the lobby area of the place he owns www.universalmma.com he was just chilling there reading some MMA magazines (presumably about himself). The three of us (Myself, Derek and Chris) were amongst the first people there, we were just standing around, sorta nervous about talking to Dennis (we did our best schoolgirl giggling) and decided to head to the other side of the gym to change.

I left my flipflops by Dennis and went over and said hi. He broke his hand in a fight in Spirit MC and i wished him the best in the future. When i was about to walk away, he called me over and asked me how long i've trained and what i train in. I told him i've been doing Judo for a year and he said that Judo was the first thing that he learned as a kid (no, i'm not gonna be like ZOMG, he started with judo first, hence dennis = judoka). One thing I noticed about him was how friggin huge he is, nigga was around 200 pounds.

Anyway to start the session: we did some running, and some light stretching. We did some boxing drills, for about 15 minutes, just some punching and blocking stuff; nothing really significant. After we did that we learned some chokes attacking a turtling position (shall come in handy in judo competitions!) After my buddy Derek's inability to do it properly, Dennis came over and demonstrated on me. I got choked the fuck out by Dennis Kang, he didn't use much strength when applying the choke, but it was largely due to the fact that the choke was sunk in and only needed minimal pressure to get the choke. That was cool as hell!

After we drilled that for bout 10 minutes, we learned some armbars from the mount, and learned how to keep the armlock on even if the guy's bucking like crazy. After that, we learned some escapes from the armbar. Hell, at this point i was going absolutely apeshit and having a blast. At this point, my right knee was giving me all sorts of trouble cuz of a partially torn MCL i was recovering from. There were some things that we learned that I really don't remember, cuz there was a LOT to digest, Chris (Kuet) will fill in the rest.

At one point, i realized how jerky my motions were, probably due to my judo training where there's more of an emphasis on explosive grappling as opposed to the smooth flowing style of BJJ.

After a short break I rolled with Chris, just cuz i wanted to choke him out and armbar him. One thing I liked (and noticed) was going from Gi to NO-GI was totally different. With the gi, i'd always have much more control in the guard, but with no gi, i had to use hooks and had to grab Chris's fat and sweaty head. I've got a far greater appreciation for no gi stuff now, I'm gonna look forward to that in the near future.

There were some pretty cool Q&A's today:
    1) how many more fights with pride : 4

2) dream fight : Henderson, Silva, Misaki (Kuet, fill me in on this one)

3) fighting in UFC : He'd fight in the UFC, but represent PRIDE

4) how'd dennis start fighting : started doing BJJ competitions, but didn't really want to be a fighter at first. He commented that when he started, MMA training was hard to find and that nobody took it seriously up here in Vancouver.

5) how much does he weigh 1 week before fight : 18 pounds over scheduled weight for fight. He does a lot of training in the pool 1 week before the match. When he rehydrates after weigh-in's he's gains approximately 15-16 pounds.

Here's a pictar with Dennis, Chris and myself.

[​IMG]

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

In n Out :bowdown:

:cool: Awesome man, looks like you guys had a good time. How many people showed up? It doesn't look like too many, if so, more Dennis for you! Nice!

3. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

I've talked to the guy before and he was really down to earth and didn't have that "i'm a famous fighter so fuck off" attitude.

Too bad I had work today or I would have went :hs:

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Denis Kang

one "n"

but good stuff

5. itr452

FARK! my mistake!

As for attendence, there were approximately 30-35 people there. It was strange, when i whipped out the good ole' DSLR people got the hell outta the way like i was someone important, LOLZ!

Everybody else at the semminar was wearing some fight related clothing, I rocked the sprawls, but heard comments about my t-shirt (people getting hungry and hating protein shakes)

The first semminar I went to and i couldn't be any more impressed. Well run and good instructions, i'm gonna keep drilling the stuff i learned today and go to more bjj classes. No gi was awesome!

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

jesus.... what mm camera did you use, all of our heads look way bigger than they really are !!!
    man, that was SO much fun. Denis Kang is the man- he is so cool and laid back, super nice....when he was explaining stuff, he looked at me a few times and i got intimidated and looked at the ground...im such i little bitch i kno.
    hes alot bigger than i thought he was gonna be too.... says he walks around at 205-210 when not getting ready to fight. What a badass- hey carson, didnt you have more pictars? post them up home-slice :h5:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  7. Kuet

Kuet New Member

no man, there was around thirty ppl there id say....i was actually going to comment on how empty the place looked in that pic, it was after the seminar and everybody was taking pics, so the entire class was behind the photographer....
    man what did we learn now..... some sick stuff, and my first real Bjj experience...
    learned some nice side chokes...i really dont know what it was called....pretty much get the guy on his hands and knees, slip in either arm under his armpit, lock it tight to your bicep, then fall down, get into half guard, and use the outside leg to trap so he cant roll away.... and squeeze in towards the guy, instead of a guillotine choke where you crank it and pull away from the guy....

attacking from full mount, when they buck to follow with them, pushing your hips down and forewards so they cant get up, then go for a sick armbar transition, grabbing outside arm, locking it up, putting shin/foot on neck of the guy, turn in towards him, take his leg, flip him and voila-arm bar plus if you did it right, you also have his leg with you so there no way they can escape that....

very cool armbar escape....
    while getting arbar'd but before you are fully extended, lock your hands together ( theres a name for this i cant remember what its called ) and turn hips towards opponent, taking your free arm, shove opponents leg in between you legs, then kind of snake through his other leg and get up, into half guard.... im trying to remeber the steps in my head....

the free roll was great, carson tapped me out a few times with some fast armbar work, i have No experience on the ground.... i managed to almost get a nice triangle choke on him, and an omaplata, but he bearly escaped with his life:squint:

all in all, today i learned this:
    denis kang is the man.
    i suck at bjj.
    i love bjj.
    i really really learned how technical BJJ is, and although i mos def. appreciated the ground game before, now i can really understand how hard it is to flow and do the things and moves they do..... its like its about five steps lets say to a move, and while drilling them is hard enough, realising to fluently pull off a move and do those + number of steps and make it all into one giant flowing move.... amazing.... i liken it to branches on a tree....
    there are so many moves you can do from one position, and how the opponent reacts, and so fourth.....like the branches of a tree.
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
    next week there is a GSP seminar too- i just might go to that as well !!! :noes:

8. Kuet

Kuet New Member

wtf no posts :wtc:

9. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

thats really cool. its good to have a "home town" fighter, hopefully therell be more events like this, id love to make it to one :bigthumb:

did he say when he thinks his next fight will be or is he gonna be out for a while?

10. Kuet

Kuet New Member

didnt say, although nobdoy asked him- i imagine him to be out for some time though, he just pretty recently broke something in his hand or whatever in his last fight at spirit mc.

11. Scream_Phoenix

i went to a grappling class at a place called zuma (www.zuma.tv) here in town for the first time today. the owner, adam zugec, has been a friend/training partner of kangs for 6 years or something and theyre doing the same event next weekend. its gonna cost 140$ i think, which is kind of steep for me. it would be cool, but since im a beginner i dont know that it would be beneficial enough for me to justify the cost.

the class tonight was awesome. it was my first gi class :bigthumb:

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

you've only had one class, imo the seminar is not worth it. at least not for $140. $50 or so max i'd say. you have SO much to learn and absorb, seminars won't really give you much bang for your buck. seminars usualy involve someone explaining their own personal game and how they like to do things, or refining techniques and concepts etc etc etc.

atm you dont have the foundation imo to really make it worth your while. just my thoughts.

13. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Kang is great, did he roll at all or was his hand bothering him too much?

14. Scream_Phoenix

yeah it wasnt my first class, just my first class at that gym. but still ive only had a bit more than a month or so of training, and i dont think its worth it at this point :hs:

also, since the instructor and him are buddies, i think ill have another chance in the future, so yeah, ill hold off

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

what? $140? the kang seminar i went to was only fifty bucks:mamoru:

16. Kuet

Kuet New Member

he didnt fully roll, no.... he did however choke out itr452 showing his partner a move:bowdown:
    His hand was in a full cast, when they were taking pics, he put his right hand up( broken one ) then quickly put his left hand up and made it into a fist instead :rofl:

17. Scream_Phoenix

140$ for the weekend which i think includes sat and sun and a gi session on monday. he said one day would be 80$...
    for 50 id do it no prob. they might be expecting a lot fewer students since its victoria :hs:

18. Kuet

Kuet New Member

ohh thats cool....over the weekend huh? thats actually pretty damn good.... is it a Bjj seminar or an mma seminar? either way, if it spans over a couple days, you should check it out.

19. Scream_Phoenix

im pretty sure thats what he said. it was def more than one day. im heading back tonight so ill find out for sure, tho i still dont think ill go :hs:

i just dont think he can offer much instruction over what we get from zugec. maybe if it was at the end of the summer. oh well, next time :dunno:

20. itr452

Chris, et al
    GSP semminar is $200 for 2 days............. a little steep for me mang!
    i wonder if there's any discount now that he doesn't have the title :o

and i bet Kuet's gonna get his panties in a bunch, omoplata bitch! how'd u like it?

21. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

AHAHAH your biddies with Chris Bong? AHAHAHHAHAHAHA bUAhahahahahahahahahaha BONNGGGGGGG ahahhaahah

22. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

anyways Yea I heard about Kang doing seminars there but 200$ or 2 days? LOL I would rather fly to Russia for 800$(return) take a train to St.Petersberg from Moscow for 50$ and for 200$ a month train at red devil sport club gym lol might get a chance to see fedor ..

23. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

lols, go to the GSP semminar...ITS MOTherFUCKING GEORGES ST PIERRE COMING TO FUCKING VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!

and im chris bong's brother. CRAINK!

24. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:rofl: WTF what are the chances of that huh??
    so im guessing you know me, i must know you, who are you then??:noes: