Dell's Complete Care Warranty

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IndianBabu, Mar 23, 2007.

1. IndianBabu

IndianBabu New Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Complete Care Warranty that Dell offers?

My computer is closing in on its last days of warranty. Has anyone ever "accidentally" dropped coffee on their laptop to get it replaced completely by Dell?

I wonder how true they are to their word, and how much of a hassle it is.

Any comments?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I had Dell out several times to fix my laptop over the 4 years I had my complete care warranty, including to fix a big gouge in the screen from when a metal ruler slid between the laptop and the screen when I put it in my bag.

Note that Dell will not replace it, they will fix it. They stock replacement parts and that's what they will use.

3. IndianBabu

IndianBabu New Member

So its probably wiser to EXTEND the current warranty rather than sabotaging your computer?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Remember these two things:

1) Buying a better product to start with is better than a shitty product and "coverages". Having something down for service is worth than it still working. Hence, when buying a new machine, don't cheap out and get a dell.

2) Once you have a machine, remember everyone is in it to make money... No one is going to sell you a warranty if statistically they're gonna lose money. With insurance and warranties, they may lose on a few customers, but statistically, they make way more than they spend. Being careful with your laptop will be much better than wasting loads of money on coverage.

Overall, I think extended warranties are a complete waste. A few people have gotten lucky and got more out of it than they put into it... But remember the numbers: statistics show that companies make a LOT of money on warranties, and they would stop offering them if they didn't.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

6. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I'm the reason why warranties are expensive. Seems like when I actually do buy it, I'm GOING TO USE it. On that note, I bought a TV and the 4yr warranty from best buy expires in August. It's a huge CRT projection, what's the easiest way to get warranty/

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The easiest way is to stop being a douchebag and commiting FRAUD. Because that is EXACTLY why you "use" your warranty. You wait until the end and PURPOSELY damage the product. That is 100% fraud.

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Get a ladder and some friends. Have them bring the TV to the roof of your house and drop it. To make it work you should stand directly in the path of the falling TV otherwise Best Buy won't honor the warranty.

9. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

We use it here at work only because we have a few laptops that we check out are for other users. Some check it out because they want to do business on them others use them for chatting or internet or whatever. Then some have kids that just bang them up. I've seen broken screens because their kid yanked on it from the back. Keys getting ripped off completely and yes all types of liquids being spilled and laptops being dropped. So for my use here at work the coverage is deemed necessary no matter what the quality of the laptops are.

Now for laptops at home...no coverage and I haven't had one problem in 10 years with two laptops.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Why bother? For an item like that Best Buy will repair it, not replace it.

11. emulex

emulex New Member

2 slurpees 2 new laptops .

get a tuffbook if you plan to keep spilling stuff it just pours right on through the tuffbooks lol