Dell: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

For a while I was considering building my own computer, but I don't know a ton about them, or know anyone that could put one together for me. I have been looking at Dell as of late, and they have some really good deals.

The main thing I'm looking for in a computer is a lot of space, I want a lot of hard drive space. My biggest thing is using the internet and downloading and burning music, and being able to have a lot of space to save things on my computer. I'm not big into gaming, but I want to be able to throw in a good first person shooter to play with my friends, and actually be able to play it.

Is Dell the best option for me?

2. MP

MP New Member

no, dell is never the best option. Unless you have two fingers, 3 toes and no eyes. Putting together the hardware part of a comp is like putting legos together. You'll get what you want, cheaper price, and since you say you don't know much about it you'll learn how everything goes in. Cases/motherboard/harddrives/ etc etc all come with instructions if you need them.

3. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

Since you really don't want to build your own, and I don't blame you because I don't know how either. I bought a dell and I'm happy with it. Plus if something breaks you can send it back.

4. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

I am going to get a Dell laptop, but that's way different. :big grin:

5. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

Dell would be the choice for the all-in-one package, as opposed to say..Comcraq, follow me?

You CAN do it yourself, it's not that hard, just takes patience and research.

For HDD and stability, all you really need is a good sized Hard Drive with quick read/write accessibility. Take any 32 or preferably 64mb video card and you should be okay. Oh yes, and a burner would help to keep the space free/taken on your drive fairly stable.

6. Caffeine Slug

Caffeine Slug Member

How much is your time worth? Buying a Dell means 15 minutes to order it, and another 15 to unpack it and plug it in when it arrives.

If you don't know what you're doing, it could easily take you a few hours to put together components and install the software you want to run. If you have any problems with hardware right out of the box, then it'll take several days to get replacements if you bought it online. If you don't have anyone knowledgeable to help you out, then I'd say buy a Dell. They do have good deals, and it saves a lot of time.

So, contrary to what others will say, it's entirely possible that Dell will be the best option for you. :)

7. M4A1

M4A1 :)

if youre going to order a pre-built computer, order a dell. the customer service isnt great by any means, but its better then Gateway etc....

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd:

If buying pre-built, go Dell. Do not except anything other than.

And YES, YOU CAN do it yourself. The manual is your friend. I built my first machine when I was 13 (286! ;) ) and it was a lot more difficult then when you had to handset DMA and IRQ settings and write your own drivers. ;) I just recently built a machine about 2 months ago, and it was 99% plug and play, ready to go.

9. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys. I'm still trying to get some money together, so I haven't made my decision yet, thanks again.