Dell XPS 410 @ $999.99 a good price?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lilkhmerkid4u, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Lilkhmerkid4u

Lilkhmerkid4u OT Supporter

I'm looking for a new desktop and saw this offer with 18 months no interest. Is this a good deal?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

The base version? Not really. If you must finance, then i would wait when stackable coupons come out to get a better deal.

else you can get a decently equipped rig for ~30-50% off at the delloutlet section. You can sometimes find that $999 xps410 w/o monitor for $400-500. I saw a few this afternoon.

i just got my bro this for 1k.

XPS 410 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2.66GHz, 1066 FSB)
    256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
    2 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
    16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
    250 GB EIDE SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    250 GB EIDE SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    48X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive

decently equipped (just need to get a better vid card) and he won't bother me if he runs into issues. good deal for me.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Of course, the irony of buying your brother a Dell is that he will run into issues, whereas with a hand-built machine he would stand a pretty good chance of using it until it's obsolete without anything breaking.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

keep telling yourself that. regardless, i'm not concerned about the issues that may or may not arise. i am concerned with the support. whether it comes from me or someone else.

5. deusexaethera

Hey, all I know is I built my brother a cheap handmade PC from secondhand parts and discount parts, and the only problems he's had with it in the past two years are problems stemming from his insistence on hacking The Sims and trying to run it.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Cool. The first pc I built ~10 years ago, a 233 Mhz pc with the same old cpu, ram, mobo, 4GB disk etc is still powered on in my office with sol x86 running, albeit slowly, but still running. I also have a 7 year old piece of crap packard bell running. I've also had a 5 your old self built 1.4 athlon take major craps on me. Took some time to finally figure out that it was a counterfeit asus p2b mobo that I was using. My cuz's dell xps g2 was a piece of crap. On board ide controller kept on corrupting his data. Regardless, I myself have fubar'd all of my pc's and the OS' plenty of times, much more than issues stemming from the machine hardware itself.

My point here is the same as yours. It won't make a difference what hardware it's running on. User error is much more of an issue that hardware issues. And if there are hardware issues, I won't be bothered. If there are user issues, mostly spyware nowadays like telc mentioned, I'll show him how to attempt to clean and recover, else restore from an image and periodically save his important stuff off to some media and external drives.

Now if you can assist the original poster with some helpful information rather than creating snide remarks towards me, then that would be helpful.

Since you feel that the dell xps410 has issues, what parts should he use to build his $1k machine?

Seems like the requirements are

core 2 duo
    i965 chipset
    and a monitor
    And the ability to finance it

7. deusexaethera

I don't have any specific parts recommendations, because I haven't built a computer with any of the newest stuff out there, but here's my guidelines, most important at the top.

- Asus or Intel motherboard w/ Intel chipset(buy the best one you can get your hands on)

- 2GB of Corsair RAM that runs at the same speed as the motherboard (RAM running at a different speed than the motherboard never runs as well due to timing misalignment)

- The best-rated power supply on Newegg.com (don't buy one from OfficeMax or Best Buy, they're always either shitty or gimmicky or both)

- LG Flatron screen with a DVI video plug (don't cheap out and get a MAG Innovision or some other cheap brand, because cheap screens use contrast-enhancing processors to "sharpen" the picture, and it WILL make your eyes hurt)

- Whatever Core 2 Duo CPU you can afford (try to get one with the fastest possible FSB speed, so your matching RAM will be usable for longer)

- Whatever nVidia PCI-Ex card you can afford (you'll replace it in a year anyway, if you game at all)

- Whatever cheap all-metal case you like the look of (plastic cases break easily and they don't shield against magnetic fields or static electricity)

Note that I said a good motherboard, good RAM, and a good screen are more important than the CPU or the video card. Why?

1. A shitty motherboard will kill your components and generally make a good system run like crap.

2. I hate buying cheap RAM and then having to throw it out later, especially when the only reason is because I've run out of spare slots, or the RAM is too slow for whatever new applications I'm running.

3. A slow CPU won't give you heart disease, and a crappy video card won't make you diabetic, but a cheap monitor will strain your eyes and make whatever eye problems you have worse. You'll keep your screen for ten years, in all likelihood, so buy the best one you can stand to pay for. Divide the price by 10, and remind yourself you're only that much per year to have a good screen to look at. DVI is a huge improvement over VGA as far as signal clarity goes, and VGA is hopelessly obsolete anyway, so buck up and spring for the better connection.

You'll also notice that I rated a good, stable power supply as being more important than the CPU, as well. Hopefully the reason for this is obvious.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007