Dell x30 and wireless internet question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rynxprs, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Rynxprs

Rynxprs New Member

Just got the X30 and I was wondering how or if it's possible to setup a wireless interent conection where I can use it in the car or in the mall?

I have it setup to use with my wireless connection at home and it works great.

But I want to be able to use it in the car or whereever to check email, get movie listings, or check ebay...stuff like that.

Is that even possible? Do I need sometype of wireless account?

Thanks!

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

You just need an unsuspecting person without a secure wireless router and voila. Downtown areas have a lot!

3. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

some coffeeshops and things at the mall have wi-fi spots, whether you have to sign up for an account depends on the place
    you will probably have to set something up the same way you did it at your house
    they usually have them in airports also
    you will probably not be able to use it in the car
    yet

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ever heard of a honeypot?

this is a *highly* illigal act. Constitutes theft, B&E, fraud, etc, etc... I say do whatever you can to NOT do this.

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

The law neither expressly prohibits it, nor expressly permits it.

You really need to losen up, if their wireless network isn't secured that's their bad. It's not like he's going to try and download movies, mp3's, or go hacking with an Axim.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so I guess you're not familiar with the term "honeypot" Because several organizations already have used, and successfully procecuted people... I remember one distinct incident in the District of Columbia.

Bottom line, do not connect to a network that is not yours... The "if their network isn't secured that's their bad" is a load of crap... If you stole a car you better have a better excuse than "it was unlocked" because that doesn't make it right!

I agree that not securing your network (or locking your car doors) is stupid, but that doesn't mean you give people permission to log into your network.