Dell Windows CD Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cctyler, Sep 1, 2004.

1. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

My buddy has lost his dell cd's and needs a format, is there anything preventing me from using a store bought WinXP copy.

Obviously, I wont be able to install all of that dell crap support center, but are there any major drivers on those cd's that I won't be able to find over the net?

Thanks.

2. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Driver support was something I ran into when I had a Fujitsu notebook, but I don't know about Dell. It may be cheaper to order another copy of the restore disc from Dell than buy a full blown retail version. There are ways to get rid of the Dell crap if you really wanted to, but if Dell uses specialize components, a retail XP copy will certainly not have it; and finding them on the net can sometimes prove impossibly hard.

:dunno:

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

support.dell.com

You may have to create a login for it, but it's easy. Then you can take his service tag information (found on the computer), type it in, and you can choose the "Downloads" option.

4. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Thanks guys

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The Dell "OS Restore" CD is the same thing as a regular OEM Windows except that it will only load on a Dell machine. The only drivers in there are the ones that any Windows of the same version would have. Dell includes a resource CD that has drivers for your specific computer. The nice thing about it is that it will usually autodetect what hardware you actually have and put a check next to the right one. Of your can download the drivers like the guy above said. Dell makes it pretty easy compared to most OEMs.