Dell + Video card question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sp33d, Mar 21, 2005.

1. sp33d

sp33d New Member

Okay, I know you guys are going to say jesus just buy another PC...

Heres the thing i have a brandnew laptop and a 2 1/2 year old dell.

The dell has 1.8ghz p4 256ram, intel intergrated onboard POS video, which equals the problem.

I have been told that i can not mate a videocard to my mother board. I dont need it for anything other than playing counter-strike. its so laggy on the video side its unplayable. it does everything else fine.

Just wondering if theyre is anything i can do to have this thing not suck. my laptop works great and that what i play on, but when i have friends over, yeah you get the point.

let me know thanks!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it has an AGP slot (prolly not) then get a card to fit it. If it does not have an AGP slot, you can get a PCI card and use that. For CS, something like a Radeon 7000 or MX-440/4000 will be sufficient, and both are available for AGP and PCI.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

That is incorrect. To verify go into your bios and see if you can disable the onboard video card. But you don't even have to go that far, plop in another video card and you will be able to use it. I've re-setup many dells with both onboard and a video card that either use both outputs with two monitors or just the video card with one monitor.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto.... Whoever told you that you cannot add a video card to a Dell is wrong. Just like any other computer, it will have either an AGP or PCI slot. And like said above, install the card, turn off the on-board video in the BIOS and you're good to go.

5. sp33d

sp33d New Member

ok great. i tried a older agp card and it wouldnt fit, it was too long for my Box. so does this mean i have a PCI board? Also, yes im kinda newbish... what kind of ram would i be buying for my machine(if you can call it that) is it 184pin?

you guys are the best.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you have a brown slot, you have AGP. if you only have white/beige slots, then they're PCI.

7. sp33d

sp33d New Member

Ok I got a video card, and im having problems with it (theres a big suprise) anywho, decided to bump this thread...

I got a ATI Raedon 9200se, PCI.

So i throw it in, turn on my PC to install the drivers. PC instantly regonizes the new video card and installs it, im thinking w00t!!!1 big negative on that. I install the drivers go to my device manager and BAM! two big yellow "!" marks mocking me.

SO i got a code error 10 on the 9200 and the 9200 secondary (? secondary?) basically it tells me that i need to uninstall and reinstall so i did this. went to AIT.com downloaded the newest drivers... BAM!!!! nothing happend same B.S.

I disabled my Intel(R) onboard graphics POS card and every thing...

What do i need to do to get this retarted thing to work?

8. sp33d

sp33d New Member

No help?