Dell taking another look at AMD procs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SpectreMatrix, Nov 16, 2004.

1. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

2. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

hell yea i wonder if this would make dell pc's less expensive. Or would they just keep the highmarkup

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in the low-end, I don't think you can beat a Celeron D. It's actually a great chip. Couple that with a nice D865GBFL/D865GLCL/D865PERLL and you have a VERY nice system with a good upgrade path.

However, in the mid-range and high-end, the Athlon 64, Athlon FX, and Opteron processors are amazing.

I think AMD can meet the demand. All they need is for one of the big-names to disregard intel's threats to companies wanting to offer AMD and bring a good config to market.

Compaq and Gateway tried in the past -- but in limited capacity, with low-end configs. Unfortunatly, that's not where AMD shines. The price is a few bucks less, but it's chips really start to shine more in the mid-range/high-end with the 64-bit lineups (at a much reduced cost from Intel's prescott line, as well).

4. monstermiata

monstermiata Wanna race??.....let me get the cones

p4 can never loose

5. MP

MP New Member

they've (dell) already been "caught" being interested/selling server based systems (remember 6 months ago?)

Doesn't really effect me either way, I'll never own a dell if it has an amd or p4 cpu in it.

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Very :coold:

7. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well Intel is going to take a hit this time, but they ain't just gonna go down... They got way too much $$$ at the bank and they have the power to pressure the industry.

More or the less like nVidia...