dell problems!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cosmocrat, Jul 21, 2005.

1. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

i guess my parents really didnt research laptops much when they bought my Inspiron 5150 from Dell last August for college. It hasn't been a year quite yet, and they have already had to replace the fan. I have had it off for the past two months (for hte most part), but I had it this weekend when I had family over. It only took a few hours to get my fan back up to the sound of my refridgerator.

I know.. my fault for getting a dell. But what can I do? Any numbers for even a state customer complaint line to possibly get a working computer, recall, refund.... anything?

It's probably hopeless but maybe someone else has run into a machine that has gone bust agter a few months and knows what to do. Any info is greatly appriciated =]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is no lemon law for laptops... at best you can complain to dell. If they keep repairing/replacing it then that's all they are legally required to do.

Case in point, don't get dell next time.

3. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

but if i were to complain to someone.. who would be best to annoy?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dell

if they violate the terms of the warranty, you can contact the BBB. But you won't get anywhere.

5. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

... the BBB? sorry for my iggnorance

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Better Business Bureau.

They take complaints for poor business practices. Again, won't get you anywhere unless Dell breechs some contract.

7. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

If its in warranty, have them fix it, or get a better laptop.

If you know which fan it is, I might be able to get a replacement for you, since I refurb laptops for a living. But the company I work for doesn't buy many Inspirons, since quite frankly, they are the crap of the crop in laptops, though I have many dead Latitudes that might use the same fan.

Go to Dell's site, do the services and support thing, go to check the warranty status, put in your laptops SN, and lookup the original hardware configuration, it should somewhere have the PN listed for the heatsink/fan assembly, and let me know and I can see what I can find.

8. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

thanks a lot for your help. I'm trying one last time before my warrenty is up at the end of august to put my system through to the depot. i know its the fan and the heatsink... but what they are particularly, im not sure how to find out. thanks for your help!