Dell oem XP pro install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Brian May, May 20, 2006.

1. Brian May

Brian May New Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop pre-loaded with windows xp home oem edition. The COA sticker is tacked on under the laptop. Now I am starting school in July and I am required to run Win XP Professional for my Network Administration and support course.

So I was browsing around E-bay for non-vendor specific OEM versions of XP Professional, you know the kind that have the holographic printed disc, the COA sticker and a small booklet. (image here). In my search I came across this auction for a Dell Restore CD. For those of you who don't feel like clicking the link, the auction claims that you do not need a key # to install it on Dell systems. The CD looks almost exactly like the one that came with my laptop, except for the color being different. For $20 a figured what the hell and bought it. Now I tried to install it today, ran the install through the Windows environment and after the first prompt I was asked for a key.

Now, I never actually used my original restore CD that came with the laptop, so I am not familiar with the install process nor do I know if I will be asked for a key if I opt to boot the computer from the restore CD and install XP that way. I know Windows wouldn't ask for it until XP was fully installed. Does anyone know what would happen in this scenario? I have a lot of shit to backup before the install and I dont want to have XP Pro installed and not have a key # if it would require it (no, I am not asking for one, I need legitimacy)

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Is there a Windows sticker on the bottom of your laptop? Usually Dell places it on there with your CD-Key.

3. Brian May

Brian May New Member

As stated in the 2nd sentence, yes but it's for Windows XP Home. Will that work with Pro edition? I'm gonna go with "NO" but it can't hurt to ask.

I just want to know if I will be prompted for a CD key when installing XP (boot from CD installation)

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

No it won't. But you can use the Dell Restore CD and then use the XP Pro disc to update your XP Home software.

5. Brian May

Brian May New Member

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The dude has erased the License Key from that photo. That means, if you get what's in the picture, there is a License Key included with the CD.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're an idiot. ebay link clearly states that he will NOT include the COA.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I did say "If you get what's in the picture", didn't I? Are you incapable of comprehending conditional statements?

I just looked at the image the guy linked. If the License Key isn't included, then I wouldn't buy it.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, so let me get this straight:

Every one of your posts you claim something that is false. Admit that you can be false. End up being false. Then think it's okay because you stated that you could be wrong??? No. You're a fucktard. Secondly, you are the worst ebayer EVER if you just look at the pictures. Thirdly, you need to stop posting here.

And lastly, you're a moron! The auction does NOT EVEN PICTURE A COA.

This is the only picture at the auction:
    [​IMG]

The image posted with a blanked-out COA was an example of what he WANTED:

So on top of not knowing shit, you can't read. But let me guess, in your eyes it's okay because (a) you tried. (b) you admitted you were wrong.

Sorry kid, this is the REAL-world. best-efforts are worthless. Please be a fly on the wall for a bit. Learn a little, and help when you can... But this fountain of mis-information is not helpful to the community. People sometimes don't care for my up-front attitude, but I don't like beating aroud the bush. I help people, and call people out when they're wrong. People do the same to me, as well. And every now and then I'm wrong and will admit so. The difference between you and me is that me being wrong (in this forum) is rare. With you, it's every time.