Dell Notebooks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pimphat, Aug 9, 2005.

1. pimphat

pimphat hmmm

I am going to purchase a notebook for university so my primary consideration is size and battery life. I have been considering the Dell 700m which is a 12" widescreen and is quite tiny.
    Everything about the Dell units seems really good. They are priced much better than their competitors with the 700m costing around $2000 here and equivalent 12" units being around $2800.
    I'm just wondering if there are any issues with Dell notebooks or their service?

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Latitude >> Inspiron

The 700m seems to be generally well liked though, unlike most Inspirons. Suggest you price out the Latitude D410 before you buy. Or hell, the X1 even. Make sure you upgrade to a high-cap battery.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry much buying a Dell notebook. Don't expect to get IBM build quality, but they aren't bad machines. Dell warranty service is among the best also.

FWIW I've got a Latitude D600 I received a week ago (bought off ebay used, but all the major components were freshened by the PO), and I like it a lot so far.

3. knell

knell New Member

I've owned 1 desktop and 1 laptop from dell. Thanks to all of the problems with the desktop, they've sent me 3 (including the one I currently have), and problems with the laptop, they've sent me 4. So I'd have to say their customer service is pretty good, since when they screw something up they'll send you a new one, but since the problem may or may not be fixed in the new one, what's the point of it.

cliffs: I would not recommend dell to anyone.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

^^ Out of curiosity, what models were these?

I understand Dell desktops are certainly not what they used to be. Seems it all started going downhill around the time the P4 came out. I've had a few Dimension XPS-T systems (P3/440BX) and they're the most rock solid computers I've ever seen. But that was when they still used all Intel-made motherboards, which I don't think is the case anymore.

5. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

i ordered the 700m late last week and tracking shows that it should be here sometime today.. the main i reason i got it was because i had a 40% off coupon, and configured a $2000 700m for $1200 with free shipping, no tax, and a free printer..

i'll let u know how it works

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Here we go again...
    Dell makes the worst quality laptops in the world. It's so bad that their return rate is the highest in the manufacturing industry. It's 26% as of last year. Want a notebook that's worth money, and has good quality, get an Asus... or a Powerbook.

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Their laptops are certainly better than HP Pavilions, or Gateways, or eMachines or a half dozen other I could name at least. No they aren't the best either, but for anything better like an IBM you'll pay more, a lot more if you consider sale prices.

And as mentioned the Latitude series seem to be pretty good while the Inspirons aren't, because the former is built for business consumption and the latter for home users. HP/Compaq laptops have the same dichotomy, the business line are highly rated while the Pavilion/Presario line is comprised of cheap junk.

8. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i am sitting in front of my Latitude D610 right now, I really like it. definitely a zippy machine with a 1.8ghz Centrino Proccesor and 1GB of RAM

9. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

If you get a dell, be expected to have a 1 out of 4 chance of having to send it back in.

Seriously get an ASUS or an IBM or at the very least a toshiba, but dell is just crap right now.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I really hesitate to post in these Dell threads lately but...

Speaking from a business standpoint, we are 99.9% Dell here and really have zero problems with the machines (desktops and laptops). Most of the laptops are now 1-3 year old Inspirons and we have two or three newer Latitudes (D600, D610). The rest are Dimension desktops. I'd choose the Latitude over the Inspiron though. They are smaller, lighter, and are pretty fast machines. We do buy the 3-year warranty and it's good to have. I've been at my Job 3 years and only had to call Dell a few times to get warranty work done on the any of the 50-ish machines.

One of the guys from our sales company has a 700M and he loves it. I haven't used it much more than checking it out when he first got it, but I definitely like it. The only downside would be the small screen and small keyboard. It may take a little bit of getting used to.

I just got rid of my full tower PC and moved to a cube PC. When that decides to die, I'm gonna move over to a laptop full time and will definitely get a Dell since they have been good to me.

I see no real convincing reason to buy a Asus listed in this thread, besides the 26% return rate on Dell.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Fine. :dunno: Buy what you guys want. You get what you pay for. I'm done with Dell threads for now. I never manage to get my point across, but oh well, that obviously isn't my problem... I'm not buying the notebook. Don't say I didn't warn you if anything happens, sack riders.

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:uh: Maybe you just have trouble seeing that he was giving other suggestions, which happen to be BETTER suggestions other than Dell. But, whatever. Done with you sack riders. :mamoru: Dell threads are no longer worthy of my facts.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well it is your opinion that there are BETTER machines and my opinion to get a Dell since I have had great luck with them.

The original poster asked about Dell machines and I along with some others gave their opinion and you gave yours.

Your point was taken, but I just happened to have a different opinion. Is that ok with you? You are not the end all decision maker, are you? Does everyone have to agree with you?

How about some opinions on why Asus? All you said was how high the return rates were on Dell which you have also said in some other Dell posts, but never cared to explain WHY Asus...

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Get a business class laptop, they tend to be built better. I love my inspiron, but after I took it out of the box and felt the construction, I bought a massive (and expensive) laptop backpack to protect it. If you can afford it (it's NOT a cheap option) dell offers a "Complete Care" warranty where they will fix it for any reason other than intentional damage. So if you drop it, they fix it.

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I'm not necessarily disputing it, but where is this 26% figure coming from? Try as I might I can't find any good information about return rates for different PC companies. The most I found was an older Forbes article which mentioned that eMachines had an 18% return rate which was "among the worst in the industry," and if that's so I find it somewhat hard to believe that Dell's is greater by half.

16. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

PC Magazine does a reader survey every year the last one I could find (about a year old) had Dell's laptop return rate about that. In my experience supporting brain dead end users with various brands of PC laptops, I don't see Dells being worse than HP/Comcrap, etc. This is not a scientific survey so its impossible to truly know the quality of these machines without insider knowledge from all vendors. Are Dell's phone people simply more willing than others to tell the customer to send it in? Are Dell's customers dummies who think their computer is broken because little Johnny screwed it up with spyware and insist on sending it back? There's lots of possibities.

17. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

In my experience Dell is pretty happy to have users send the whole unit in to be fixed. They even send the box with prepaid return shipping. I was under the impression though that return rate meant the customer actually took (or sent) the unit back to where they bought it from for a refund. Which wouldn't necessarily be all that definitive a measure of quality either.

If it's simply a Consumer Reports type survey, I wouldn't put any stock in it at all. Those sorts of ratings can be based just as much on the owners as on the product. I mean, go ask a thousand Apple users what they think of Apple and see what kind of answers you get. :p

18. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

i ordered my 700m thursday night with 3-5 day shipping. the laptop was supposed to ship the 16th and get here anywhere from the 19th to the 23rd.. it shipped yesterday at 4pm and i received it tonight around 5.

so far i am absoultely loving it.. my main specs include an 80gb hd, 1gig ram and 2ghz cpu. the monitor is amazing and as everyone says, the keyboard is small. my hands are well above average size and after 10min i can type nearly as fast as i do on a standard size kb. however, i do not use the standard kb typing method so that might make a difference. so far i recommend this laptop, but you never know what could happen

19. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Hehe their computer could crash 10 times a day, have 50 dead pixels, and catch fire periodically, and they'd still defend it to the death as the perfect computer.

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

1. It's not my opinion they are better machines. It's fact. How about doing a little research in the market?

2. Ok, you were speaking out of experience, you like Dell. That's great. I was speaking out of experience and factual information.

3. Nobody has to agree with me. I just lay the details on the table, read my last two posts please, you seem to have forgotton what I said.

4. Asus and Apple have the lowest return rates, and I've been an Asus user for years. My motherboards, video cards, and laptops. They have superior quality, the chassi is far more durable, where as my Dell cracked. Asus uses a different methods in building their cases (compound fiber I beleive) to build their laptop cases then the standard plastic like Dell. Dell's are usually returned because hardware failure or performance issues. Dell has excessive performance issues because they do not customize the software to the laptop needs. They bundle it all onto a CD, throw it in the laptop, and installs all their software when you boot it up. Awesome! As for perfromance, you'll just have to use an Asus yourself.

I remember doing tech support at a college, when most of the 85% of the IT students had Dells. People always coming in asking what the hell is wrong with their shit. I remember we used to hand Dells out to employees. Two out of five laptops we had to return because of boot failures. Once they got back, one of them still had the problem. I'm wondering why all these machines are going down the shitter. I did some marketing research and notice Dell's return rate is up to 26%. I also get into this debate with ex-tech support at Dell, sadly, they agree with me, not on everything, but at least they agree that the quality is absolute utter shit. You might also try talking to a few Laptop repair gurus that pass around this forum. No doubt they'll see this thread soon enough and contribute.

And best of all, Asus builds their computers in the US, and their tech support is here as well.

As for those on apple, I am willing to put hundreds of dollars down that any powerbook would be more stable than your Dell running Windows. Powerbooks are very solid and stable, especially now that they're on the x86 architecture running OSX which is unix based anyway. That computer, and operating system, is far more superior than any Windows environment (Not necessarly perfromance wise regarding hardware, but DEFINATLY stability and quality wise).

In the end, you're just stating your own opinion, and I have no problems with that. In the end, the quality and perfromance of an Asus laptop is superior than the quality and performance of a Dell, and that's not my opinion, that's a fact.

21. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Powerbooks are not x86 based yet. Still a ways to go on that.

Nor are asus laptops made here in the united states, they are made overseas. Often the are ASSEMBLED here by OEM's but the actual manufacturing takes places overseas.

Lots of other issues in some of what you say, but I don't really want to spend too much time getting into it. Those few items just popped to mind right away.

22. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I still have yet to see any sources of information that show your opinions are facts. I'd really appreciate a link or something.

I can only speak from experience and that was what I did.

23. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Maybe you should get off your ass and start doing your own research then, such as I have. :dunno:

24. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You're right. They're not quite on the x86 architecture yet, but they WILL be. But they are still stable beyond any PC based laptop I've used.

You're probably right, Asus build laptops overseas, but I know they do a lot of custom building here in the USA, and their tech support also resides here as well, for us anyway.

You already took a step into the thread, elaborate the "lot" of other mistakes I've made, don't post if you're not willing to specificy your wording. :dunno:

25. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Why not just show us where you are getting your facts from?

You've stated some information that you claim are facts, but have not backed them up. Just like the poster a few above, I've looked around, but have not been able to find much.

I don't think I'm asking for much.