Dell Monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

Thoughts?

I've got a 20" at work that I like. They've got some great deals going on right now ($72 off a 20", $64 off a 22", etc) and I'm in desperate need.

Looking at either 1 22" or 3 20". I can run the 22 right now but the trip-20s mean building the new computer sooner than later.

2. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

I quit thinking about Dell monitors when they raised the price of the 2407 to $699. I tried getting a deal on it by adding it onto a $200k purchase my company was making, and the best they could do was $592. A serious ghosting issue has been found in them, so it's probably all for the better.

I use dual 19" UltraSharps at work, and they're good. Someone has a 20" and it's just as good. I can't speak to the 22"s though, sorry. :dunno:

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4. jdw

jdw New Member

I'm on a 2007fpw right now and I like it well enough I guess... I guess hell, if I can get them for $215 it's 'good enough' for development...
    I was supposed to be getting a 2405/6? for $325 and the guy sold it behind my back...

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

love my 2405fpw

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've got both a 22 and 24 from dell, both are great. No banding, bleeding backlight, ghosting, etc.

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i've been using a 2005 for about three years nows... i just ordered the 22in, i think its the 2208 for 239 plus tax yesterday. what a freaking deal and on top of that i'm selling my 2005 for 150 to a coworker. 22in lcd for 100 ftw.

8. ady

ady New Member

I have 4 Dell displays and they are great and I'd reccomend them, but none of the ones I have are TN panels, and the ones Dell are having sales on are. Now I don't think it matters too much for the most part for gaming and general use, but there is definatly a difference in quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors is a good starting place for details on Dell monitors if you need it.

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

They don't make them, do they?

I've always assumed they were private labelled by someone else.

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I doubt if Dell makes a single product they sell.

:dunno:

11. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

You don't think they at least make their PC's?

12. ady

ady New Member

Dell assemble their desktops and servers as the orders come in, they effectively buy the components as they need them. Same for nearly all their laptops (no one else does this), they ship the chassis to their two or three manufacturing centers and then assemble as they get orders and ship them out.

I doubt they do anything other than aid in design and buy assembled items when it comes to displays though.

13. jdw

jdw New Member

reading material for tonight. thanks.

14. jdw

jdw New Member

Well this is making the decision tough. Wish I was able to work on one and see what I thought of it. Apparently the 2007WFP is one of the better dell monitors and none of these can compare to it (which is what I'm using as my comparison).

Worst part about reviews like I'm reading is I don't know what demands these people are putting on the equipment. I'm working on a 2 year old Toshiba laptop and the LCD is probably crap but I've got no complaints and it works for what I need. I may need the performance if I start photo editing again, otherwise it'll mostly be coding and some 'meh' design work for sites...

15. ady

ady New Member

I think unless you need really good colour replication, or are really concerned with perfection, I wouldn't worry about it. Do try and check out some displays at a best buy or wherever sell them though.

16. jdw

jdw New Member

unfortunately best buy didn't have any on the shelf last time I was there.

I guess I'm not overly concerned with perfection but I'm afraid of getting crap. And if I need something for color correcting In the future I'll get 1 good one and add it as the 4th monitor....

17. telc

telc OT Supporter

The WS 20 and 22's are the same native resolution, so you are just getting larger pixels on the 22.

18. jdw

jdw New Member

I realize that.

19. telc

telc OT Supporter

If I RMA my two year old 2005fpw do you think they will cross ship a newer model or a refurb 2005fpw.

20. jdw

jdw New Member

So another question...
    How does performance vary between Analog and Digital signals into LCD monitors?

Found one of the 20s that are on sale in a store and it looked kinda meh but was being fed by an analog signal.

The SP2208 looked good but the high gloss screen SUCKS and struggles a bit with verticle viewing angle (but how many people look at screens from 20* above/below anyway?)

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They assemble the components, but everything is made by other contractors. Foxconn made their mobos, last time I checked.

22. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

:bowdown:

love mine too

23. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, that's what I meant. They're not nearly big enough to manufacture anything.
    Manufacturing plants cost billions of dollars these days, and are like small cities.