Dell M1530 shock issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raand, Jan 24, 2008.

1. raand

raand New Member

anyone else having issues with there XPS M1530 shocking them will be happy to learn that dell is being no help what so ever. They apparently claim that the issue is normal with the given two pin power adapter and that a 3 pin adapter would probably fix the issue....buttttt dell does not offer a 3 pin adapter with ground for the XPS M1530 sooo they basically say you just have to deal with it...

1st is anyone else having this issue (either a tingle or sudden shocks especially when attaching peripherals like printers, etc.)

2nd if you are please post in Dells forums and contact tech support... the only way to fix this is to get them to get there shit together and get a 3 pin power adapter for the 1530...

if you want more information or a better description of what is happening just search m1530 shock in google search

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

hahaha...I have yet to hear of this but it sounds hilarious.

3. raand

raand New Member

yah i would think it is too lol if it was not my new laptop.....

4. chips

chips ...

wtf when i worked for dell if you system shocked you burnt you or anything it was an system exchage no questions asked

5. raand

raand New Member

Yah, i wish that was the answer... it seems that all M1530s have this issue and it all stems from the power adapter only being 2 pin.....

6. raand

raand New Member

FYI to all that have a M1530 they will now ship you a 3 prong power adapter for free just contact tech support, it fixes the problem so far from what i have noticed.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

we need a :dell: smiley.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just came here to post that...

I saw a post about it over at the notebookreview forums.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Even a power brick with a three-prong plug won't do you any good unless the power jack on the computer has a third contact for the ground prong to connect to. Still, if you want to give it a shot, Batteries.com usually sells aftermarket power bricks with three-prong plugs.

10. deusexaethera

What would it look like?

11. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

:sadwavey:

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be the dell-dude with a bunch of marijuana?

Could be a laptop that just explodes.

could be a guy typing on a laptop, changing to a sad/mad face, then pulling out a gun and off-ing himself.

could be lots o things.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not true. In home AC wiring the ground and neutral end up at the same spot in the panel. Although a ground to chassis would be ideal, it's not required. The brick will send it's discharges over the path of least resistance -- so that would be ground...

14. deusexaethera

Actually they don't end up in the same place on the panel. I learned this myself recently. The neutral wire runs back to the center of the output transformer coil out at the street, whereas the emergency ground runs to a copper pipe (or something similar) behind the house.

As for whether a ground to chassis is required, no it's not required, as long as the chassis is properly insulated from the user. Clearly, in the case of the Dell XPS 1530, it's not; and in that case, US electrical code requires that the chassis be grounded. Neither of the two wires coming out of the power brick are adequate for this purpose, because one has a positive DC voltage and the other has an equal negative DC voltage. What's needed is something with zero voltage.

Nonetheless, I suspect what the OP really needs is a humidifier for his house -- after all, he can't be sure the laptop is zapping him and not vice-versa, especially if he wears shoes indoors.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

What you said is "technically" correct. However, the neutral and ground are BOTH connected at the SAME plane within the panel... And current is allowed to flow in whatever way is easiest -- which MAY be back to the pole, or could be to the grounding rod.

I have taken some pictures of my electrical panel to demonstrate this fact. Don't make fun of my old, messy panel. It's getting ripped out and replaced in the remodel I'm planning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For further information, consider:

The NEUTRAL is uesd for reference of "zero voltage".

Don't use a band-aid to cover a problem when you can properly fix the root cause.

16. raand

raand New Member

The problem comes from the two prong adapter not grounding the laptop so the laptop distributes the remaining charge through the metal case and through the user.

It does work and I am not sure what the plug in the laptop looks like inside, but I am sure they thought of this seeing that they almost never send two prong adapters with their laptops and this model was an exception

all that matters is that I no longer get a tingle sensation and an ocassional shock while charging and using my laptop at the same time. w00t

the forum i read about the new adapter in:
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS_Laptop&thread.id=2096

17. deusexaethera

See, I kinda figured it worked that way, but the guy I talked to about it insisted that they were completely separate. Well, whatever, it gets the job done.
    Well, as you said, the neutral and the ground are connected at the box on the back of the house, so it's the same as saying the ground is the zero reference. And it doesn't need to be in quotes -- voltage is electropotential, and if the ground and the device have the same amount of ionization, then the electropotential is zero.
    I tend to agree; however, if he's generating static electricity and zapping his machine with it, then it's his fault and not the machine's. It could be that the machine just has some metal close to the surface, and it's not charged, but he is, and he's discharging into the machine, not vice versa.

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i love to see the know-it-all bake offs between deusex and potroast. lol.

"jusht wait until he readsh thish!" *clickity* *tappity*

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not really. There are still diffs between neutral and ground, dispite being tied to the same plane at the panel. Furthermore, a neutral is neccessary -- a ground is not.

not when there is a documented issue with the particular product.

20. deusexaethera

Is it a documented issue? Or is it just a bunch of people who think there's an issue? I haven't looked.

What electropotential difference is there between neutral and ground if they both touch the ground and the transformer?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Lots of people think it's an issue. Lots of people report the issue is resolved with a grounded supply. And dell is sending them out free-of-charge, which is a basic admittal of a problem.

Under normal circumstances -- none. But ground isn't there for the norm, it's there as a backup measure. wikipedia goes over this.

22. deusexaethera

Of course ground is there as a reference. The center tap on the output transformer coil might be the return location for a house's wiring, but it won't work right unless zero volts at the center tap is equal to zero volts in the locale (i.e. the ground everything is sitting on). That's why the center tap is connected to the ground, and why the house is connected to the ground. The fact that the house's ground is connected to the transformer's ground via the return line is just a reflection of being thorough.

23. etech

etech New Member

If it was anyone else discussing this it might be worth getting into. There's a lot of misinformation being spread...

But in this case.

:io:

24. raand

raand New Member

it is not just a lot of people dell recognizes the issue i didnt just complain and make something up lol i understand what is going on and how it needs to be fixed

Dells post about the issue that shows there recognition of this issue
    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/04/24/8522.aspx

it might explain to those who think this is a fabricated issue.

my favorite part was when they say that the "tingle sensation" is normal and should not be worried about lol

25. deusexaethera

No no, by all means, join in. I for one am keen to see what you say is misinformation.