Dell laptop pissing me off... problems as I type

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nester024, Oct 30, 2007.

1. nester024

nester024 New Member

My Dell Latitude D620 runs XP. Regardless of what program I am running (Word, Opera, IE, etc.) when I type it's not long before my cursor moves to another part of the screen, my browser navigates forward or back, or windows close seemingly for no reason. It seems as if I'm hitting some weird key combination, or maybe catching the touch pad with my thumb, but I have been careful to do neither and it still happens. Is there any setting that may cause this, shortcut or anything? It's INFURIATING to try and write a paper and find the cursor jump to the middle of the paragraph.

Thanks for a thought on this

Dan

2. Chris

Chris New Member

shit jammed up in the keyboard? Also those little blue thingys in the middle of the keys can get stuck and cause the cursor to move

3. nester024

nester024 New Member

No, the keyboard is mint as is the pointer.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Someone has haxx0red your machine :noes:

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If you do infact have one of those 'eraser pointers' in the middle of your keyboard that's probably the issue. I was presented with the same problem on someone's laptop, I was able to disable the pointer either in BIOS or using pointer software from Dell's website. Sometimes they get extra sensitive.

6. Brandon

Brandon New Member

+1

I would say its because you have a Dell, but it happens on my Thinkpad and other laptops with the eraser pointer.

7. ///M

///M New Member

never had this problem with any of the thinkpads i've used

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my macbook used to do the same thing, it was because i was touching the touchpad while typing. i adjusted my typing style and checked the box "ignore accidental trackpad input"
    perhaps your mouse icon in the control panel has something similar

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

In a bizarre case the touchpad might be absorbing the shocks and considering them as movements.

Just open a chunk of text, put your mouse pointer somewhere in the middle, and see if it goes traveling if you just tab for a minute with your finger against the side (not keys) of the laptop. Or on top near the touchpad, if it goes moving then it would seriously need a sturdy underground thats also able to absorb shocks for the absurd situation. I hope that this is not the case.

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

You know what, I actually popped the keyboard off and cut the ribbon that controlled the pointer :noes: -- you can try that if you can't find the BIOS setting and/or software to do it. It was obvious which ribbon controlled the pointer, it was about 1/2".. the other 2" ribbon was for the keyboard. This was a company laptop.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It seems a lot of Dell Laptops had those pointer issues. I just disabled the pointer stick. There's no need to cut the cable.

12. Brandon

Brandon New Member

I guess I should of clarified "older" ThinkPads ... as in a few years old. But I think it is a problem with most older laptops.