dell experts gtf in here

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tucker McElroy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Tucker McElroy

Tucker McElroy New Member

1.5 year old dell laptop

hard drive went bad about 8 months ago, dell shipped me a new one under warranty, all was well

just recently, when i turn on the laptop i get a message from dell before windows even boots...

"The computer system is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this hard drive without the correct password. Please type in the primary or administrator password"

WTF :mad:

I called Dell and because its over a year they won't help at all

any ideas? i understand this is a theft deterrent for people who get stolen laptops and put in a new hard drive, but this laptop is mine

cliffs: dell's theft deterrent locked my hard drive and i can't get to my shit

2. peerk

peerk New Member

Go to the last person who used your computer and beat them until they tell you the password. Things like these shouldn't get enabled by themselves.

I just checked my Dell laptop's BIOS settings and there is a supervisor password and a user password. The supervisor password restricts access to the BIOS and the user password restricts booting. For the user password to be enabled the supervisor password needs to be set.

This means you can't just go into the BIOS settings and turn the boot password off because the BIOS is protected by a password also. This makes sense if you think about it. I'm assuming your laptop is like this also, but it is worth checking out (try hitting f2 or delete as computer starts).

So you will probably need to open up the laptop and set a password reset jumper or pull the CMOS battery out.

What is the model of your laptop?

Edit:

I just reread your post and it sounds like you are asking about a hard drive password. If that is the case none of the above really applies.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  3. Tucker McElroy

Tucker McElroy New Member

first off, thanks for the time to reply

you are on the right track

i've been in the bios, and have obversed it being password protected

i don't have the laptop in front of me at the moment (a friend is looking at it) but i think what happened was in the bios, the main boot hd has been disabled, and therefore can't be turned back on without the bios password

i've found this link while searching:

http://short-media.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-27650.html

i have a 600m

i think what i'm going to do is take out the dell hard drive, put it in another non-dell laptop, backup the drive & reformat

i'm not sure that will eliminate this problem though

other than removing the battery, any advice on how to reset the bios password? would a bios firmware upgrade possibly do it? give dell a taste of their own medicine?

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you're way better off buying and returning or borrowing a 2.5" laptop hard drive enclosure than trying to hook it up to another notebook.