Dell E510 Processor Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, May 19, 2007.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I have a Dell Dimension E510 that is a year old, it currently has a 3.4 Ghz. Pentium 4 with hyperthreading. I was considering upgrading the processor to something dual core, but wasn't sure what would be compatible with it. It currently has a LGA 775 socket processor, so would I be able to just drop in another LGA 775 socket processor, or would I need a new motherboard? I asked dell tech support but the guy didn't seem to sure, although he said I would need a new mobo for a new processor. That just doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know too much about mobo/processor compatibilty. When I bought the pc they offered a Pentium D 2.8 as an option, so I don't know if they would have used a different mobo with that build if I had gone that route. Of coure the day after I had ordered it they offered a 3.2 ghz pentium D for what I paid for the 3.4 P4, so that pissed me off cause I would have gone with the Pentium D for sure. So do you think I need a new mobo to upgrade or not? I also see some Core 2 Duo processors that use the same socket type, so I don't know if I could use one of those too, if so what would be better a 3.2 Ghz. Pentium D or a 1.8 Ghz. Core 2 Duo?

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

The chipset on the motherboard in that system is a 945G, which does not support the Intel Core2Duo CPUs. You should be able to drop in a Pentium D without any trouble though.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

That's kinda what I thought. Would a 3.2 ghz. Pentium D be much of an upgrade over my current 3.4 P4?