Dell Dimension 8200 BIOS "Hard Drive Not Installed" Error

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jpolakowski, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jpolakowski

jpolakowski New Member

Hi Everyone,

Well, I finally got my other Dell shipped home to me from Florida, and upon opening the box I thought, "What the heck, let's clean the dust out of her." I'd say a good cleaning had never been done, and when I opened the case the dust was terrible (note: this wasn't my computer to start). So I got out the air compressor and popped the case open. This was tricky since I wasn't familiar with the book style of case opening, if I may word it that way. However, once it was propped open I continued to clean it out, and boy did it look nice. I brought it into my house and plugged it in only to find that I was getting an error message during bootup. The error message read something along the lines of not having my disc drive (cd rom) or hard drive installed, and was telling me that my main method of booting the computer was from the diskette drive. I thought maybe the connections were a little off but when I opened the case again everything was snug as a bug. The data cables seemed to be in tact and everything looked normal. For a side note, the computer did get a virus after I reloaded the entire machine, which may be a cause.

Someone suggested I replace my CMOS battery. Do you think this would solve it?

Thanks

2. Schproda

Schproda New Member

3. jpolakowski

jpolakowski New Member

I am pretty sure it was a virus that infected my BIOS.

4. mitrong

mitrong so cute

no replacing the CMOS battery won't do it. i'm almost sure that the HD is dead. but i have been wrong before so...

5. jpolakowski

jpolakowski New Member

So the HD and The CD ROM drive are both shot?

6. mitrong

mitrong so cute

did it specifically state that the HD and cd drive were unrecognized? if it just said "disk drive" it's just the HD in which case the HD is dead.

7. jpolakowski

jpolakowski New Member

It said both were not installed. I have a strong feeling it is the cables. In the event that it is, does anyone know which cables to buy?

8. Schproda

Schproda New Member

It's very rare cables go bad unless someone is pulling on them all the time. You need to go into the BIOS settings to see if the system sees the drives there and to make sure primary master is set to auto for starters. You could have a bad board.

9. jpolakowski

jpolakowski New Member

Well, the cables are about six years old.

Everything is set to auto, it doesn't recognize the drives at all.

If I have a bad board I'm not even going to bother spending the money to replace it.

Anyone want to take this off my hands if thats case (no HD included as I'll be destroying that)? Hah!