Dell Dimension 2400

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FadeToBright, Jan 30, 2005.

1. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 :wtc: I know. I bought an ATI Radeon 9250 today (PCI, because my mobo only supports PCI :wtc:) for some reason, it will not work. Help, anyone?:bowdown:

2. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

did you install the drivers before you installed the card? You have to make sure to just install the drivers, then shut down and install the card. Then you will probably need to disable the old video card.

3. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

I can't seem to disable the onboard card, that's the problem.

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

It should be in the BIOS.

However, you ARE lucky to have a 2400, because that is one of the first new models to use standard ATX parts...If you bought it a year back, you would be screwed.

I would suggest that you sell/return the 9250, and buy a quality Micro-ATX motherboard and a Radeon 8500LE/9100 (same chip). The Radeon 8500 is MUCH faster, ignore the model number. The 9250 is nothing but a Radeon 9000, which was a crippled new design based on the Radeon 8500. The Radeon 8500 is faster than a Geforce3 Ti500 (Which is MUCH faster than a Geforce4 MX), whilst a Radeon 9250 is about on par with the FX5200, which is VERY slow.

Get these, and you will be happy:

Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-030&depa=0

I am a HUGE fan of ASRock boards...Fear not, they are Asus' value brand, and pack quite a punch. I used to use their old K7S8XE+ motherboard and it was fasntastic...I upgraded to a Gigabyte dual CPU motherboard which I am not that fond of :wtc:.

Video Card:

http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/atirad8500le2.html

The ATI Radeon 8500LE is fantastic; you can still play today's games fairly well on it.

5. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

I heard I couldn't get a new mobo due to the fact that it's a Dell.

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Nope. The 2400's can support a stanard ATX motherboard...The 2300's can't.

I would know, I have seen the parts for them.

Rumor has it that Intel got tired of making it's own custom stuff for Dell, because it was a waste of the company's resources, and cost both companies money.

So therefore...Voila! A crippled Intel motherboared with OCing options in the BIOS disabled, and with a new Dell logo.

All you have to do to get your new mobo working is to find out where the power connectors are for the Dell case...It shouldn't be too hard; you just have to look at the uber-simple circuitry. I've done it before with a Presario 5700T case.

Or, you could always mooch an mATX/ATX case off a friend, or buy a cheapo $10 beige case from www.soyousa.com .

7. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

Thanks, but in finally got the card to work :)