Dell and their support...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Schproda, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Schproda

Schproda New Member

...or lack thereof

I was reading a message a friend posted elsewhere where he said a NEW Dell laptop had BSODs and their tech support said they wouldn't help if he didn't pay another $99 for software support. I'm really not surprised.

Here's a link to an article that I can attest to. The Dell tech that went onsite to work on this NEW XPS PC that had a DOA HDD did a basic reload of XP but wouldn't install drivers or additional software.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTI0LDc=

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

IBM Depot Repair plans are the best in the industry when it comes to comprehensive support.

I can understand why Dell would want to charge extra money for software support; it's so easy for a user to fuck up their software than it is for them to fuck up their hardware, considering that most people treat their computer case like Pandora's Box. Which, in most circumstances, is a good thing.

3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

I was trying to purchase a Dell laptop, but their sales support created so many problems , that I gave up

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Should've bought it online...

==

As for their support, they have been great for me the few times I had to call, but then again it was for Dell Small Business, so I'm not sure how Dell Home support is. Once or twice I called them on a Monday at 4:30pm and had a tech in here the next morning, but we do pay for that kind of service.

What kind of warranty did he buy with the machine? The most basic is included in the price, so maybe the warranty he paid for didn't cover what he needed.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Need more information on the machine. I'd assume that it's a lower-end model which comes with a bare-minimum warranty. Anytime we've had a hardware failure with Dell we'd have something overnight or 2-day shipped to us without question.

Not necessarily directed towards your friend but I don't see how people can expect to pay <$400 for a desktop or <$650 for a laptop and NOT have atleast some troubles (varying from poor performance, support, hardware failures, etc.) -- the margins on these machines are terribly small.

6. deusexaethera

...and are heavily subsidized by "free trial" software like AOL and "reputable adware" like WeatherBug.

If you don't build a computer yourself, you don't know what's going into it. Even if you don't know how to actually assemble a computer, or what parts you will need, you can get a friend to do it for you. As long as you give the friend a check for the amount you're willing to pay, and you don't spend any more than that, you'll get a much better computer for the same amount of money.

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I disagree when it comes to the low-end Dells, currently you can get a good enough web-browsing/email machine for $369 from Dell -- and it comes with a 19" LCD, it'd be received this same week.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I completely agree.

I've had my fair share of building computers for myself and for friends. Sure you can save a few bucks and also get the specific parts you may want, but for me, a basic machine is usually all I need. One of my friends just bought a Dell last month and it was under $400 out the door with a 17" LCD.

9. deusexaethera

I'm not saying that you can't get a halfway decent, inexpensive computer from Dell or Gateway or HP, or (gasp) even eMachines. All I'm saying is that you don't know which corners they cut until it breaks.

What really gets me about Dells (at least if you expect to lean on the warranty at all) is that if you remove any of the subsidy software (all the free trials and adwares that I mentioned), then you void the software warranty because you've changed the basic config that Dell set up. That's why they wipe your hard drive if they have to reinstall Windows for you -- it's actually easier to just restore the important files than it is to delete everything off the disk first, but that way they restore the "factory" condition. It's bullshit; I bet they'd void the warranty when people add software as well, if they could possibly get away with it.