Dell 8600 + ipod mini = power surge error?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by macks, Jun 27, 2005.

1. macks

macks Guest

So i've got one of the last new 8600's in existance, and xp kicks out a "Power surge on USB port" error every time I connect the 4G ipod mini to either USB port, and I'm then prompted to reset the port or close it down. Google searches have proven fruitless, with the only hint that it might be a SP2 specific problem, or that SP2 might make the power surge error really easy to trigger. It does it much more often when the battery is less than 3/4 full, but this seems obvious. XP home and pro with sp2 on desktops around the house don't cause the error, so I suspect it's not the ipod.

Is this a dell hardware thing, a wierd XP glitch or something else entirely? I'm open to suggestions.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have you tried calling Dell?

3. macks

macks Guest

I'm leaving that one for a last resort.

Since google didn't know the answer, I figure it can't be that widespread. Since every other USB device works with it and there's no other faults, I'm assuming so far that it's not the laptop. I'm going to try it on a few other 8600's of people I know, but unless something comes of it there's a phonecall to Dell in my future...

4. chips

chips ...

well i hate to say it but dell wont do anything, try removeing everything usb wise from the device manager and restarting

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Why wouldn't Dell do anything??

I've called Dell plenty of times for mahcines at work under warranty and never had a problem with them.

If the machine is still under warranty, why not call and see what they say?