Dell 7.1 onboard HD audio or Creative Audigy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Mar 24, 2007.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I'm thinking about upgrading my pc's audio, I currently have the integrated High definition 7.1 audio on my Dell Dimension E510, but was wondering if something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-S...ryZ44981QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting would be an improvement in what I already have?

I don't really play games on my PC, nor do I watch movies so I don't really need 5.1 or 7.1, but I do listen to a lot of music, plus the microphone port doesn't work either, so that's another reason I want to upgrade. What should I do, get the new card, or just keep what I have?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Are you sure your mic input doesn't work?
    Have you checked your settings to make sure they are properly set?

Also, just about everyone in here is going to tell you that the soundcard is superior to what you have installed.

I say otherwise. The only thing a sound card does better is use less cpu resources.
    Other than that, in a blind test with two identical computers together in a room with identical speakers and with volumes matched identically, no one will be able to tell you which computer is using a sound card or onboard sound.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm dealing with this question myself right now. I have an Audigy 2ZS, but I just replaced my motherboard with one that has NForce onboard audio, which is a hell of a lot better than the SoundMax onboard audio on my previous motherboard. Right now I'm using the NForce audio, because I can use my front panel audio ports (well, I don't use them, but at least they're plugged into something), and I haven't decided yet whether it's as good as the Audigy or not. If nothing else, the Audigy DOES have the benefit of not piping analog signals across the motherboard, which would introduce all kinds of background noise on a cheap board, but honestly my speakers aren't good enough anymore for me to be able to tell any difference with the NForce.

So I guess I'd say, the Audigy will definitely be better than cheap onboard audio, but it's not necessarily better than good onboard audio.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

discrete is ALWAYS better than onboard. Onboard has come a long way, but it's still shitty. However, creative cards suck, so if you're buying new, go grab a M-Audio :)

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Yes, I'm sure my mic input isn't working, I've checked all the settings and even had dell send me a new mobo. There must me some sort of software conflict that's causing it not to work. But the front mic input works, however that doesn't really help me too much. And the other thing is how do I know if my onboard audio is good or shitty?

Fuck it, I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290097055469&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019 I figured it's not that much money and if I don't like it, I can always put it back on ebay.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Um...just a thought...5.1/7.1 audio setups hijack the microphone input to use as an extra output. You need to shut off the 5.1/7.1 function and go back to normal 2-speaker sound to get the mic input to work.