Dell 2407FPW too bright

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Apr 16, 2007.

1. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I have the brightness set to 0 and it's still too bright for me. Damn, should have spent the loot on a Benq, but that was 17% more money....

Anybody else have this problem?

2. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

Cant you turn the brightness down through your video card control panel as well?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How long have you had it? Was it an upgrade from an old LCD? When I replaced my two ancient 15" LCDs with two new Samsung 20" LCDs, it look a little bit to. Not only are the new panels brighter, there's a lot more surface area radiating.

4. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I just received it. I upgraded from an 18" Sony LCD.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, benq > dell

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Try adjusting the light in the room. A darker room will make the screen look brighter. I've used a few Dell 24's under standard office lighting and never though they were too bright. They put off more heat than I expected though.

7. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

It's not the lighting. I run Regular lights and i have a big ole white light hanging over head.

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

It is a pretty bright monitor, it goes to show you how bright the Sony LCD is (not) though if a 0 setting bothers your eyes. As suggested there should be a setting for your videocard to turn it down.

9. Create

Create :free at last:

I suggest you go out and get yourself some big black frames, with the glass so dark thay wont even know your name. The choice is up to you 'cause they come in two classes: Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try turning down the contrast. It's counter-intuitive, but the contrast setting affects the brightness more than the brightness setting does because of the way it multiplies the difference between light and dark.

Also, if you're using a VGA cable instead of a DVI cable, increase the refresh rate of the screen (via the "Advanced" button on the "Settings" tab in the "Display Properties" window) to at least 75Hz, or more if the screen can handle it without getting fuzzy. High brightness is made more uncomfortable by having a screen that doesn't animate smoothly.

Failing all of these, you might be able to find a 3M filter that could cut down on the brightness for you.

...this is a perfect example, by the way, of what I have mentioned before about cheap LCD screens achieving high contrast numbers by making white really bright instead of by making black really dark.

11. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

i turned both the contrast and brightness down when I installed the control center for my ATI card. I originally only installed the basic driver; I had no control over those.

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

So then you were trying to adjust this from the monitor itself?

There's not a heck of a lot of adjustment in there.

I run the 2407 and mine is a bit bright too. I just adjust mine from the graphic driver.