Dell 2407 and HD questions. v. Doc Brown

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Mar 31, 2007.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

So since Doc got his 2407 it finally got me off my lazy ass to get myself one. Had it about 2 weeks now but been busy with work and sick (stomach virus FTL :barf: )

So anyway, I doubt I will ever hook this thing up to any HD source but isn't it capable of HD? :dunno:

Is there anywhere to download HD 1080i/p or whatever video so I can see what it looks like?

And no pics at this time but I love it. :wiggle:

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yep. I did some googling after I got mine, and found a site with some short clips in hd.
    They're just a minute or two, but because the res is so high, each clip is over a 100mb.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

4. Doc Brown

Yeah, I'm loving it.

5. Doc Brown

Try Discoverers, Robotica, Speed, Step Into Liquid, and The Magic of Flight.

Those look great on the Dell.

6. Doc Brown

Taxi is pretty impressive, too.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

apple has trailers in quicktime hidef. if your net is fast they look pretty cool :)

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks for the suggestions Doc and mobbarley.

First of all I am completely satisfied with this monitor. As I said earlier, I doubt I will ever hook it up to an HD source (xbox, hd dvd player, comcast HD, etc.) but I would have thought the picture would have been better viewing those HD 1080 samples you all linked. Don't get me wrong they looked great but I guess I was expecting them to look like the LCD tv's you see at Circuit City/Best Buy, etc. Where the picture looks life-like.

Either way I just got this for a little more real estate than my old 20.1". It is so much brighter and a better monitor all around so I ain't complaing, just curious why HD doesn't look like the HD I've seen before.

9. Doc Brown

I wonder what specific monitors you've seen with which specific source signals that looked so good at the stores.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you need to do a bit of tweaking.
    What video card are you using? I have a 7900GT, and I went into nVidia device settings, and turned down the brightness and contrast a small amount, and bumped up the image sharpening a touch.
    I also use Clear Type in the Windows display settings > effects.
    That plus the Dell driver of course, and those hd clips look pretty amazing on mine.

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks Doc.

You know the 42" - xx" LCD displays at best buy etc. I'm not sure it's "fair"HD to compare the picture quality to them but I was imagining that's what it would look like. The coloros are very nice. I have view alot of high quality pictures and I can tell this monitor is better, just saying I thought HD would be almost life-like like watching football or something in HD.

Video card is evga 7950GT KO superclocked. Haven't tweaked anything but I will take a look. I do use clear type and I did install the driver for the 2407.

11. Doc Brown

Well if you think about it, a 42" LCD with 1080p is going to have bigger pixels than a 24" LCD with 1080p.
    So if anything, the smaller panel should look sharper.

Part of it could be how close you sit to your Dell.
    Mine is on an old style office desk, so I have some space between me and the monitor.