Deleting Temp. Internet Files Folder from CMD Prompt..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ciph4, Oct 10, 2004.

1. ciph4

ciph4 New Member

Hi,

Whenever I try to select all the contents of the folder and delete it through Windows Explorer or try to clear it from Internet Explorer either WE or IE will freeze. Is it safe for me to just delete the whole folder from CMD Prompt?

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Use IE and give it time to complete. If it is big, it will take some time to delete, and there is no status indicator while it is working. Start it and go off and do something for a while.

The cache directories are a little weird, so you won't be able to delete them from the command prompt very easy. There is a lot of virtualization in the structure of the folders and files. What you see in explorer is not really what is there. There are a bunch of sub directories and files that you don't (can't) see with explorer.

3. ciph4

ciph4 New Member

Alright... Whenever I do that after ~30 seconds it says Temporary Internet Files (Not Responding) on the Title Bar.. but I guess I'll just leave it on for a while and see what happens.

Thanks.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, it will do that. Someone needs to kick MS's ass for the way they handle the cache size and maint.

5. alreadyDEAD

alreadyDEAD New Member

:werd: I use Norton's tool to clean up the temp internet files. It works so much faster.