Deleting old windows on drive.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lucas936, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Lucas936

Lucas936 New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Hey guys, I dont know much about software stuff so here goes...
    I recently reinstalled windows xp on my computer and I guess I dual booted them (I think thats the term?) So I have to pick which OS I want to go into before it starts up. My HD is pretty well filled up and I was wanting to know if I could just delete the old "windows" file directly off my C drive, I installed the new version under "windows2" on my HD, so I was just wanting to know if it would cause any problems by just going in and deleting it. (Right click delete...blah blah..)
    [/font]

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I don't think it should cause any problems, but I don't use Windows so don't trust my opinion. Either way, the sure-fire way is to do a re-install and format the HD this time (after backing up your important stuff of course).

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah go ahead and delete it. You can also delete the old profiles in your documents and settings folder that apply to that copy of Windows. Also, edit your boot.ini to remove the reference to the now-deleted c:\windows so it'll boot straight into c:\windows2 without delay.