Deleting accounts on XP...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by offthahook, Jan 10, 2008.

1. offthahook

offthahook New Member

I need to delete 2 accounts and I get the "Not Responding" dialog in addition to the endless hourglass. I go through the control panel, user accounts, delete account. It says a file named mhsta.exe (or something very similar) cannot be found. But when you try to logon to the accounts, I get the dialog that "C/doc and set/user/destop cannot be found. Access is denied." But it still shows the recycle bin and the Explorer icon on the desktop and all the programs under the start tab. I've changed them to limited accounts and tried various ways to get them off, but to no avail! It sucks because when I bootup or return after a couple hours, it looks there are 3 accounts to choose from. Technically, I guess there are. How would I remove an account another or the right way?

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

try this
    start
    programs
    accessories
    command prompt
    type: control userpasswords2

lemme know

3. offthahook

offthahook New Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I just highlighted the account names and hit remove. Seems I've seen that screen before, but it wasn't with that strand or under the command prompt. One of the accounts had a password (which I knew) and I had already removed the password before attempting the deleting. I was allover this OS trying to get the names off. Good lookin' out! I shutdown/restarted and there was just my account and no way to switch user. Thanks a million! :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. awns729

awns729 New Member

hah nooo problem! you're lucky cuz my friend was messing with me and changed my account settings from there just the other day haha good thing i saw how he did it!