Deleting a program in use

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stigmata, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Stigmata

Stigmata New Member

Hey all, need a little quick help...trying to delete a program thats currently in use. Looked at the other help thread and got some good ideas, but none of them have worked so far. The comp its on is running so slow that downloading anything is not really an option. I am attempting to navigate the command prompt, but DOS is truly ancient to me.

Where i am at. I am currently running in safe mode. The program i am trying to delete is C:\My Shared Folder\Smith.avi but com prompt isn't recognizing it as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'. Like i said, i suck at dos prompt so any help you all could provide would be great.

2. NPH

NPH Guest

are you getting a message saying unable to delete because file is currently in use? If so, try a program called Unlocker (google it).

3. Stigmata

Stigmata New Member

If i can get past this without downloading anything, it would be better...the machine is running so slow right now god knows how long it would take it

4. Stigmata

Stigmata New Member

I did get unlocker downloaded onto the machine, however its saying that a locking handle is not detected, and it cannot delete the file...Any more options?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you can get back to a command prompt, go to the C: drive and type cd "my shared folder"

6. geegel

geegel New Member

in DOS prompt type:

c:
    cd my_sha~1
    del smith.avi