Deleted a virus, getting an error on startup, help please.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L, Dec 16, 2003.

1. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L I live in an igloo

Well, I found a stupid virus on my computer dust.exe, came from kazaa I presume, I found it using some online virus scanner, then had to delete from the command prompt because it was "in use" if I tried to delete it in Windows XP.

Now when I restart windows, an error pops up saying:

"Windows cannot find 'dust.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

I tried going to msconfig and checking the startup file, and there is no path to dust.exe. I then searched through the registry for "dust.exe" and found nothing.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me just get rid of this error message on startup. Once I click "OK", everything is fine and dandy, its just a pain in the ass for it to appear and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Thanks for your time.

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

3. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

try looking in the registry (start -> run -> regedit.exe) .. not sure if msconfig will show all the keys that appear, so it might be a good idea to double check:

you need to do this in both HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion-> Run

there will be a list of things that get run on startup. just delete the key for dust.exe if you find it

4. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

I checked the registry and couldn't find any path in the "run" folder. I attached a screenshot of that folder. Still can't find anywhere.

[​IMG]

Here is the error its giving on startup. Now I have already deleted the file dust.exe, I just want to get rid of this stupid error message from appearing every time I re-start the computer.

[​IMG]
    Thanks again.

5. start your system to safe mode, to a full system scan with AV ... I'm sure the dust.exe file is being called from your registry ... a full scan in safe mode should find it and any other hidden droppers or loaders.

6. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

7. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

Alright, I found the file sitting in the windowsNT section of the registry. Now the pic shows that I've clicked it and seleted "edit string" Do I delete the whole string or do I leave explorer.exe and just delete the "dust.exe" portion of the string?
    Thanks again.[​IMG]

8. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

Problem Fixed! I just read up on some of those links and it said to just delete the "dust.exe" portion. No more error!

Thanks everyone for the help/advice :bowdown:

9. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

Glad you fixed it. Just so you know, those pics won't show up... imagestation has antileech or something i guess. or do I hafta register and then login?

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Imagestation has anti-leech.
    You can get around this by deleting the ".orig.jpg" from the end of the filename.

11. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

:uh: I forgot to get rid of the file extension. Ah well, the problem is fixed, so not a big deal :bigthumb: