delete forever

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Aug 27, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I know of ways to get rid of data on drives so they cannot be recovered. Heres the problem I have. Short of dumping all the information onto a new drive which isnt an option at the moment, I really need to wipe two drives out completely but still retain whats there. I dont guess thats possible is it without first wiping the drive ? :hsd: For example I can run an undelete program and recover what was deleted right this very minute but sure would be nice if there was some way I can scan the drive and based on whatever results it finds, I can trash it this way.

2. Poz_Dispenser

Poz_Dispenser New Member

iblotsofjailbait

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

nothing related like that on my work computer. The info is encrypted so you cant pull the drive out and extract the data off but the password can be broken which defeats the purpose of the encryption. Its my outlook (pst) file I dont want any one to get a hold of. Its gone for right now but theres 400 gigs worth of software/docs/pdfs/publisher files thats stored on it as well. I dont have a spare drive laying around where I can move the information off and start a secure delete right now. I may have to shuffle files around if there is no way around it

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

if you can't wipe the disk completly

filling up the remaining space with zero's, then %random% data, the zero's, then rand a few times, MAY help.

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

hmm thats kinda what im looking for yea fill up the remainder of the drive. At least the contents of what is there stays just the free space is written over. That should take care of the problem. Where would I find said program ?

6. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction