Degrees Vs Certs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

So tell me from your experiences...from an employment standpoint, how does a bachelors and/or masters degree compare to certifications (whether it be Cisco, Microsoft, or whatever). I've noticed in several employment listings that certifications generally trump a degree.

Tell me I didn't waste 4 years of my life when I could have received the same jobs by taking a few fucking exams.

:ugh:

2. Exiled

Exiled New Member

You didn't waste your time if you are a smart guy at your craft. The developers at my job HAVE to have a degree, but at the same time everything else doesn't... So it is a good thing if you have a degree, a very good thing, you have something not many people have and some jobs look for that.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

A degree shows that you should be able to learn and problem solve. Certs mean you can memorize a textbook and regurgitate it on a test.

We only hire people with degrees (even fresh out of university) or 5+ years experience.

4. Nocera

Nocera ...

You didn't say what job position you're seeking. If it's a development job then a degree is best. You won't even get a phone interview at my company without a degree, regardless of how many certs you hold.

5. synthetic

synthetic New Member

a+, network+ = just graduated elementry skool..

ba/bs in IT, msce, ccna = looks ma i gots ma G.E.D! deet de deeeeee

next step up..

ccnp, bs in CS

leetness..

ccie, masters/ ph.d in cs

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I got my BS in CS because in my previous job hunting, I saw many jobs that had a minimum req of a CS degree. These were jobs for desktop support where A+ might actually be sufficient and more applicable than a CS degree. Also higher ups that aren't technically savvy tend to feel better about someone having a degree. It lends more credibility to your name IMO.

I also read where 2 people might be qualified for a position where one has the certs and the other has a degree so they come in at the same level. However, after they are hired, the person with the CS degree will advance faster and higher in the company than the person with just the certs.

I don't feel like I wasted time on my degree. No amount of education is ever wasted IMO. However, I would like my degree to have focused a little more on the actual tools used in business....like visual studio. But we used open source tools instead. Oh well...time for more learnin'.

7. Sexual Vanilla

Well that's good to hear. Maybe the few job postings I've seen were just flukes...the ones that REQUIRED a certification. (Network Engineer, CCNA required, FYI). Which is a bit understandable I suppose.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A degree is definitely better. If nothing else, it proves that you're willing to dedicate yourself to your work. Certs just say "I need a job and I don't mind jumping through hoops to get it." I've never met a manager who wanted to hire anything less than the most obsessively-dedicated CS or IT employees.

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Certs need to be updated, a degree doesn't.

10. deusexaethera

Well...that's not entirely true. I couldn't slack off for ten years and then expect to get a decent job on my degree and my decade-old experience. Computer shit just changes so fast.

11. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Certs are good, so are degrees.....Just depends on how smart you are.

12. antiyou

antiyou OT Supporter

I see you didn't read the sticky.

13. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

a few people on my team have a sht load of certs and no degree. then others have no certs and a degree or two. (software engineers)

i will tell you this, once i completed my degree and updated my resume i had 10x as many people calling me about jobs.

Experience is the key… no one should ever expect to land a great job with no experience and just a cert under their belt.

14. Sexual Vanilla

Intriguing observation...but false nevertheless.

15. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I just got a IT job with a government contractor with NEITHER! Prior military FTW!

16. Sexual Vanilla

Interesting...I wonder how much being in the military helps with job searching. :eek3:

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

A degree looks really good on paper, but it's pretty worthless if you don't have any experience or certifications to back you up.

I really wouldn't oppose the two against each other, I'd much rather put both of them on paper to back you up.

18. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's still sort of true. It is a good idea to keep up with what's current, but a degree shows that you have the knowledge and skills necessary to adapt to new things. If you understand OOP, you can learn any new OO language pretty easily - it's all just syntax. Someone with a Java cert might not really understand OOP at all, and wouldn't be able to pick up C++ nearly as quickly as someone with a degree.

19. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

The problem lies in distinguishing the people who have the certification because they truly understand the material within, and the others who have the cert but only because they memorized the answers by rote.

Depending on the field, I would hire someone who truly understand the knowledge held within their cert over someone with a degree. (I'm not a developer, nor do I have any desire to be one, so don't apply my logic to that, etc)

But there's one reason why: I'm not in the business for you to putz around and learn something on my dime. I want you to be ready to go to work within a couple of days of me hiring you - some hands on experience with things you might have gaps on is fine. But having to pick up a new something completely new, even if it was similar to what you previously knew, is going to give you troubles that may seem small, but in a production environment can cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If I'm hiring a network engineer, I want someone with applicably knowledge. The theory is great, and is what will keep him employed with me, as he'll be able to adapt to new technology with ease. But when I'm hiring someone to deploy MPLS to a chain of twenty stores in a month and a half, I want them able to do MPLS now, and get it done.

But really, in IT, there's something that trumps certs and degrees : Experience. It's not going to get you into the company if you haven't been doing jack shit the past 20 years, but if I'm given three resumes, one with a guy who has 15 years of experience and no cert or degree, another is a guy with 5 years and his ccnp, and the other is a guy with 5 years and a bs in some IT related field, I'm going to be talking to the guy with the experience first.

Experience shows that you have done it
    A cert (That you understand, and didn't just do by rote) shows that you can do it
    A degree shows that you can learn how to do it.

At least, that's how I see it.

20. deusexaethera

I would add the caveat that a degree also shows that you learned how to do it right the first time. (within reason, anyway.) The guy who has 15 years of experience is probably quite good at whatever it is he does, but that doesn't mean he has the discipline to make whatever he's setting up be easy to service 10 years from now. Having a real academic degree means that you learned the theory from people who are focused more on quality of work than on meeting deadlines.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007