A&P degree worth it? v.viper

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by IntheWorks, Sep 6, 2006.

1. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

Been thinking lately about pursuing a BA in photography.... I'm 26 and haven't taken any college courses in like 4 years. I do have hopes of one day doing this full time.... would it be worth it, or it something that I can pick up by experience alone?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

do you have any degrees or credits right now?

what field do you want to go into?

how much money do you have for school?

How much are you willing to go into debt for an education?

Are you willing to put in the time for classes but not actually get the degree?

It would have taken years to get the knowledge got from Brooks, and it would have been painful to learn from real world mistakes that you can freely make with little to no consequence in school.

The credits often don't transfer, do keep that in mind.

Many peers would graduate 125k in debt. Obviously other schools aren't as much, but you'd be paying that off forever, though student loans are the best "loans" available.

In the end I got the basics down from Brooks, then decided to finish a BA in business instead of photog, so that I had something to lean on in case it doesn't work out, and to learn more about the business side (the most important side of photography). From where I left off, it would have been just learning photoshop, developing a kick ass portfolio, and meeting with clients, art directors, etc. Fairly important stuff, but if it was worth another 80k I dunno. I decided that it wasn't, but I was also getting married and we hated living in SB.

If you do decide to go for it, choose a school based on the profs. Brooks had the best, they were still working pros, not retired idiots with nothing else to do, so you learn not only the curriculum assigned, but how to actually do the stuff as working pros are doing it. The most important stuff I learned was when we had free time to just hang out with the profs and they gave us lectures on the lessons they've learned the hard way.

Assisting is great, and should be done regardless, but you really only learn a small sector of the industry and only get 1 persons insight and with little room for constructive criticism and room to try different things out.

3. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

What school would you attend?

What good photography schools are there?

4. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Viper went to Brooks

Viper quick question, How much did you know before you got into it?

5. mojito

mojito New Member

not much, DOF, aperature/SS etc

6. mojito

mojito New Member

Brooks Inst
    RIT
    Pasadena school of fine arts
    hallmark school of photog
    NYU
    etc

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

well.. we don't have much in the area for photography.. I'm pretty limited to CCAD (Columbus College of Art and Design) and the University of Dayton... I can't afford to go full time, so it would probably take quite a while to graduate...

8. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

a business degree is about 11ty billion times more useful if you want to be a pro photog. Don't waste your money.

9. werd business degree ftw.

I was taking to this girl a few years back who just got her BA in photography from the Art Institute of Philadelphia. She showed me her portfolio once, it was pretty lame IMO and her photoshop skills were very basic. But in her mind she was the best photographer in the area. :hs: I think she's working retail at the mall now... she's 28 years old... Don't be like her, get a real degree.