MIL Degree In the Marines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rambro, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Rambro

Rambro New Member

How do Marines go about getting degrees? Ive been told you can get college credits and earn a degree while enlisted in the Corps, and im just lookin for more information.

2. Accord

Accord New Member

eyob, he's not talking about officer anything, just because you want to earn a degree or have a degree doesn't mean you have to be an officer :hsugh:. He wants to know how enlisted Marines can earn degrees, not how to get advanced rank by college credits before you even sign up... not sure where you got that from :ugh:

ANYWAYS, i've done so much research on this because I too want to finish my degree within my first 4 years in the Corps, my recruiter even let me talk to a career planner who was one of his friends that deals with this stuff all the time. From boot camp and SOI/MCT alone, you'll receive about 30 college credits, but basically the only way you're going to be able to earn your degree is through online classes and theres a bunch of different programs that help you do it. Before the intraweb, the only thing Marines could really do was take like 1 class at a local college near their base on weekends and it took like 10 years to earn a degree that way or they would just wait until they got out and used the GI Bill. I was told the most popular degree program for Marines is "SOCMAR" where there's basically a list of like 500 universities you can choose from, you have to complete 25% of your courses at that university (online/distance learning) and that university because your "home" college, then you can take the rest of your classes required for your degree from ANY other college that participates in the SOCMAR program and once you earn enough credits, your "home" college will give you a degree.

There are some really GREAT colleges that participate in SOCMAR such as Embry-Riddle, UNC, etc. and there are also some not-so-great colleges like University of Phoenix, but all of them are regionally accredited and that's the most important thing. Once I earn the title, go through SOI, go through MCSF school, and finally get to my initial duty station i'm going to do is enroll in the SOCMAR program at one of the great colleges to choose from, earn 25% of my credits from there, and then just get the rest of my credits from one of the easy and fast online universities on the list (UoP), but my degree will be from my home college :bigthumb:.

Go here for more info on SOCMAR: http://www.soc.aascu.org/socmar/

Sadly, the info on about.com and 99% of the rest of the internet about online collegse flat out sucks, it's just Capella and UoP advertisements being shoved down your throat.

disclaimer: Almost all the info in my post came directly from a USMC career planner.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005