Defrag a hardware raid 5?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2000GT, Jun 12, 2007.

1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Will a windows 2000 server using hardware raid 5 be damaged by a defrag? Is this good practice? Should I expect anything other than very lengthy defrags in doing this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's no harm in doing it. Windows will run a bit better because it won't have to chase down multiple file fragments, but the disk's performance won't be affected much because all the disks need to be read from anyway, in order to check that the parity calculations are still valid.

3. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

You should routinely defrag your system, like daily, to help maintain file/program sequencing/order.

A RAID 5 array, huh? I'm currently running a mirrored RAID 3.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Defragging daily makes no difference on a modern OS. Windows is the only OS that really needs it, because it doesn't use the biggest-available-space algorithm when putting new files on the disk, and so it tends to get fragmented more quickly, but there is no perceivable benefit to defragging every single day. There simply isn't enough fragmentation that happens over the course of a few hours of use for the hard drive to have to start thrashing to chase down all the file fragments.

I have my servers and workstations set to defrag twice a week, which most of them don't need, but it takes care of keeping large data dumps from getting out of hand before I would remember to defrag manually.

- - -

Mirrored RAID3? Why? Why not just use a RAID30 or RAID50? A RAID3 already has redundancy built-in, there's no need to have TWO layers of redundancy by mirroring the array.