A&P Definition of Abstract photography?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by k2737, Apr 26, 2005.

1. k2737

k2737 Active Member

So for my photo class I have to take abstract photos. Easier said then done. The teacher showed us examples all that were just out of focus. I don't want to take pictures like that so what are my options? I know it is hard to give a definition of abstract but I just wanted to hear your guys interpretations of it.

2. Relay

Relay New Member

When I am looking to shoot an abstract, I usually find an angle or a closeup shot of something that has composition, but at the same time people dont know what it is at first glance. For example, a big clump of tangled up wires of different colors would probably look pretty plain if you shot the whole pile, but if you got in close so all you saw were squiggly lines everywhere, the picture would be much more interesting.

i am not really into the blurry out of focus abstract shots either, to me they look like a mistake that someone is trying to call abstract.

3. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

focus on your windshield with raindrops on it at night with city lights blurred in the background..i took one and it was sweeet

4. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Sounds good maybe I will try it tongiht. Over the weekend I took images of a Lotus Elise, all of the images came out good exposure wise but none really stick out as being abstract so I am kinda bumed. Maybe it is just because I know what I took picturs of everytime? I dunno.

5. Two toys

Two toys New Member

get a macro lense... ... google search abstract photography/painters/whatever and get some more ideas

6. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

extension tube is cheaper than a macro lens...is this a film class?

7. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Its a film class. The lens I am using is a 28-135 so it can get semi close. It would be easier with a true macro lens but this is what I have. I might try some long exposure shots tonight. I have never really done any night film pictures so these pictures are probably all going to come out shitty....but some will probably end up abstract. haha

8. !m/_

!m/_ D͇͈̰̳̺̼ͩ̋̓̾i̠͈̩͙̱̳̟͂̊s̈́͐́ ̻͓̙͌̃̿s̖͙̲̰̫ͨͧ̈́̍̿̚ò&#82

9. sony

sony Active Member

It doesn't have to be a close-up to be abstract. :uh:

10. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Well these are the two shots I am going to use. Neither of them are that abstract...I think the shifter is mor abstract because it kinda looks like it is floating there. :hsd: On the contact sheet you couldn't see the leather of the shifter just the top so I was kinda disapointed. They are more clear and look a lot better in person though. Oh well. I still wanna try some of that rain stuff though...Might rain tonight, so we will see how it goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

thsi is a cool bastarct that !m took[​IMG]