GUN Defensive spray question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Dec 16, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've heard a lot of people talk Fox Labs and Sabre.

Simply put if you could not have a gun/were not comfortable with a gun, would you go with a straight OC spray or a OC/CN or OC/CS combined spray?

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

OC with a heavy viscosity.

When you deploy the OC there is cross contamination and exposure which hinders yourself, heavier, oil based products help limit this by creating heavier liquid which will fall from the atmosphere. However, having been exposed to Sabre's product I recommend it as a defensive option.

3. copeland

I've been exposed in training that's why I recommend a heavy viscosity...

our organization recently switched to a newer sabre product which is not as heavy or thick in viscosity, and though it does deploy faster and more effectively, does not disable the opponent as effeciently.

Why, if you've been sprayed, would you mess around with just wiping material across your face as "lesser" means of exposure?

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

brahs a MA, don't question his authoritah

5. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Well so WMD vetos the tear gas type hybrid?

I'm shopping for the G/F's mother and something is better than nothing, she wants key chain sized.

So far I'm looking at the

FOX labs Mean Green
    FOX labs Mark 8
    Sabre Red

I personally would recommend a gun a bigger container than a keychain ring, but the woman is an anti who likes to think the best of people, then someone got mugged where she likes to walk. So now she's consented to pepper spray.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Some people like to say the CS/CN are as effective under certain circumstances (since they cause pain and are mainly a reflex as opposed an automatic reaction) . . I'll look into the 2 oz size.

7. smartypants

smartypants New Member

pillowcase full of doorknobs

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Its actually the opposite

9. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I want to get the so something to carry in her purse. She works at a bank so a firearm isn't an option. I don't know shit about oc where do I start?

I was thinking of the 2oz spring loaded flip top. It sounds like the heavy stream is the way to go?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  10. LancerV

Cap Stun is the strongest out there

11. LancerV

What? The military they use tear gas to teach you how to properly use your mask (don, seal, clear mask). You can be born immune to tear gas though

OC actually kills your nerve endings and eventually you wont feel much as much from it now mind you would prob have to OC your self for a good 3-4months straight. Hell the joint stuff I use is the same percent capsicum thats in OC burned like a hoe for the first couple months now its just warm

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I'm issued it, I don't carry it.
    Any situation where I'd use OC, I'd rather use a baton / hard hands.
    Shit gets everywhere and decontamination is a pain in the ass.
    That being said, my wife carries an ASP keychain Defender.

13. LancerV

Capsaicin: identification, nomenclature, and pharmacotherapy.
    Cordell GA, Araujo OE.

Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612.

OBJECTIVE: To provide a brief overview of the chemical history, analysis, nomenclature, biology, pharmacology, and pharmacotherapy of capsaicin. DATA SOURCES: Chemical Abstracts, Biological Abstracts, and a MEDLINE search were used to identify pertinent literature; selected literature was used in this review. DATA EXTRACTION: Original articles, reviews, and abstracts of articles were used to select material pertinent to the objectives of the review. The volume of material available prohibits comprehensive data extraction. CONCLUSIONS: A history of the use of Capsicum spp. and the predominant active ingredient, capsaicin, the parent compound of a group of vanillyl fatty acid amides, is presented. Distinct structural differences are noted between this compound and the capsaicinoids, especially the synthetic analog nonivamide, which has appeared as an adulterant in capsaicin-labeled products. Analysis shows that although some of these synthetic analogs eventually may prove to be true natural products, conclusive evidence based on isolation and structure elucidation is still absent after decades of attempted isolation from several potential natural sources. Although the crude, dark oleoresin extract of capsicum contains over 100 distinct volatile compounds and therefore may function in many ways dissimilar to capsaicin, the oleoresin continues to be marketed in products with a high degree of variability in efficacy. Capsaicin as a pure white crystalline material, however, acts specifically by depleting stores of substance P from sensory neurons, and has been successful in the treatment of several painful conditions (e.g., rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, peripheral neuropathies.

Substance P is the shit that makes Capsaicin Hurt

14. LancerV

Ive been a tear gased over 20times and it sucked as bad as it did the first time. How many people here actually work with tear gas saying you can build up a tolerance too it?

15. LancerV

But go to pubmed.com and search capsicum substance P

16. LancerV

Same shit most OC spray is .20 capsicum, my joint product is .25

17. LancerV

Most of that is just learning to slow your breathing, and control your reactions.

Although our commander is immune to the shit and hell just stand in the tent with no reaction for the whole time without his mask on

18. smartypants

smartypants New Member

One more thing to carry. I don't even carry extra cuffs. I must remain nimble, like the woodland nymph.

19. smartypants

smartypants New Member

If he runs from me and chooses to roll around with me, I'll make his arms fit.:wavey:

If he rolls over and submits, then I'll use my partner's cuff or a hobble.

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Depends. Usually not though.

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Defensive Spray is what I do after Defensive Pray. :o

22. copeland

:bowdown:

23. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

That does not say it kills the nerve cells, it says it deplete a chemical stored in the neurons. The nerves release chemicals to transmit a signal, if you transmit that signal often enough and strong enough (with nerve recruiting) it will deplete the nerve stockpiles quicker than they can be replenished. Much like if you fire your gun a lot there will be no bullets in the magazine, it doesn't mean you have broken the gun.

24. copeland

I've had a couple friends who've received sabre and state that it has affected their vision (after having recieved LASIK surgery) most complaints were that it increased starbursts at night and some feel they can't focus as clearly.

Though trainers and SABRE are both adamant the product will not have longterm effects...

I did get some on the hoo hoo when decontaminating. Even baby shampoo couldn't save me from that.:o

25. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

when i was in high school i worked as a lot attendant. one day we found a can of pepper spray and decided to fuck with it in the wash bay. i sprayed a bit and just the wiff i cought of it in the air kicked my ass.

then after having to be exposed to cs gas in the army.. i dont think id ever use that shit on somebody. too much risk of being hit myself