GUN Defensive Handgun Class is tommorow

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SoKo, Apr 13, 2004.

1. SoKo

SoKo New Member

the guy who is arranging it called to make sure i had everything, he is going to loan me a pistol and i just have to pay him back for the ammo (around 300 rounds)

-hat with brim
    -loose clothing, jeans and sneakers
    -wife stiff belt
    -bring your own lunch, no time to go out
    -water
    -cheap clear safety glasses
    -cheap earplugs

:)

2. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Have Fun! You are gonna learn alot about finding and using cover. All the different types of reloading, shooting on the move. Drawing from concealment, malfunction drills. Good stuff!

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Who is teaching the class?

If the class is outdoors you might want to bring sunblock as well.

-smn

4. SoKo

SoKo New Member

a guy named bill jeans with morrigan consulting (based in arizona) is teaching it

yeah, he said sunblock maybe too, but i'm pretty tan and don't burn easy, i'm out in the sun all the time, so i should be good

5. areed89

areed89 New Member

I hope you're in shape. If it's a regular Jeans class you'll be running and doing pushups. But if he said to bring 300 rounds it may not be his regular class, sounds like a mini-version.

6. SoKo

SoKo New Member

i'm in horrible shape :o

it went well today :), we did a lot of basic stuff, i did pretty good on the targets

tommorow will be the more physical day, but i don't see most of the people in this class doing push ups or stuff like that

7. SoKo

SoKo New Member

oh, speaking of, I shot a smith and wesson 357 magnum with 38 special ammo :)

it was fun

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Please write a review when you finish with the class. I’m always interested in hearing other people’s training experiences.

-smn

9. SoKo

SoKo New Member

will do, today we aren't meeting until 1 oclock but we are going to go until 8 or 9, he wanted to get some night shooting in

10. SoKo

SoKo New Member

Basically it was an awesome class :) It is hard to write everything we did though.

But first we did "lecture" about why people pack and rights and laws and stuff like that. The first thing we went over was stance, basically feet about shoulder width apart, nondominant (so if you are right handed, this would be your left food) heel to toe with your other food (still shoulder width apart), non-dominant leg slightly bent and leaning forward a bit, this gives you the best base and balance for shooting.

of course we went over the draw, and shooting, etc. etc. etc. then the 2nd night we did night shooting with a flashlight, that was really fun.

All in all, well worth my 300 bucks to go, plus it works for my CCW class.

11. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Great start! Training is a journey and not a destination, so don't stop taking professional instruction.

We like to say that taking a class is like making a down payment on a new car. You get to take the car home with you but you don't really own it. If you stop making payments (practicing the new tactics, skills and mindset that you learned) your car is going to get repossessed. We see students every year who come back to the same classes (not necessarily a bad thing) but they haven't practiced and don't own the skills they had when they left. This becomes especially problematic when students take a basic class, don't maintain or practice their skills and come back for more advanced training.

Don't forget to dryfire often. TRIPPLE CHECK THAT YOUR PISTOL IS UNLOADED. It's a free way to maximize your training and ammo dollars.

-smn