MIL Defense contractors? Sign in!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cls, May 11, 2005.

1. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

I work as a contractor for the Air Force in part of the Pentagon in Rosslyn.

Seems like we're always getting hated on by the govt and military dudes. A lot of them thought I was making like $100k+... turns out they only knew my bill rate. :ugh2:

2. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

why would we hate you? I have every bit of respect for everyone who serves the govt. (except for the KBR guys in Kuwait now. Pushing pallets on our plane is "not in their contract") :rofl:

3. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

I didn't mean everywhere, but here it's kinda the case.

Yeah that contract thing, they've given us several lectures about being very careful that we're only doing work explicitly assigned in our contract. Stuff like that really divides the contract guys from everyone else, I think.

I've made some great friends that are in the military though, I really enjoy being a contractor. I think I get a little more satisfaction out of doing something to help our national security then if i were like supporting a LAN at some corporation.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Got out in '99, been a contractor ever since... Currently I am a Sr. Software Engineer/SME, so I am pretty busy, kinda a two-for-one. There are things I miss and things I don't. One thing is that you don't have anywhere near the comraderie with active duty or civilians when you are no longer in. I do get to travel pretty extensively, and I don't have a shelter half anymore... I still need boots sometimes...

5. Smitty

Smitty New Member

I just started on site at Ft. Sam Houston today. :wiggle:

6. pakman

pakman New Member

I don't hate contractors in general, but I'd say close to half the contractors (mostly KBR) that I've met our here in Iraq are complete assholes. They all seem like a bunch of overpaid assholes. Take for example the guy who runs the MWR (rec room). It's a tiny fucking room, with hardly any workout equipment and a small tv area. He makes $80k a year to do NOTHING. The motherfucker has 3 Iraqi workers who do all the work, and then he has the audacity to complain about filling out some paperwork at the end of the day.

I thought the whole reason KBR was over here was to help out the US soldiers. Fuck, was I wrong. Anytime we go over to their office to ask for some supplies or anything really, 90% they turn us down cause it's not their job or they're running low on supplies. In reality is because they're lazy motherfuckers and they don't want to help us.