Defective chipset problems...Need help badly!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FreeSpace, Feb 25, 2005.

1. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Defective chipset problems...*FIXED* CPU Overheat Issue (Screw ThermalTake!)

EDIT: Yeah, the Tt cooler I thought was great, sucked choads. What can I say? Until I buy my Zalman, I'm stuck running my old 1.8GHz Duron. The chipset is fine.

I discovered tonight that my chipset was bad...

After swapping out three different PSU's (All of good quality), four different RAM sticks (No generic crap), two different hard drives, two different optical drives, three different OSes (2000 Pro, Server 2K3, and 98 Lite 4.5), loading Failsafe/BIOS defaults, I have come to the conclusion that my motherboard has a bad chipset.

It is the Chaintech 7NIL1 mATX nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset mobo. Considering this is nVidia here, I expected better.

Is there anything I can fuck with at all to get this working?

Any sort of hardware audio/video acceleration causes a GPF or a crash after 30 secs to one minute, regardless of chipset driver versions, etc. Also, under NT based OSes, it will randomly reboot, due to "Product: 264_7"

I'm pulling my hair out over this shit. RMAing is going to suck at this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
  2. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Never mind, fuck it. It turns out that the shitty ThermalTake cooler I have can't cool my 2600+ T-Breds without arctic silver. Up to 3200+ my ass!

Seriously...The thing was overheating, and that was the last thing I suspected. I slapped on a SunOn fan from an old Bestec PSU onto the heatsink, and now it can handle my Duron A-OK. I'll start modding the cooler tomorrow so my 2600+ will work. I'm gonna sand that little bitch...

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

...are you saying you forgot to put thermal paste on your heatsink? that's like forgetting to put the tires on your car lol. i might have read that wrong...but that's what it sounds like.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's freespace... ignore him. Nothing he does surprises me anymore... afterall, he thinks that 2k is better than xp, and he actually bought a thermaltake product :rofl:

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:rofl: @ forgetting to put thermal paste on chip. :rofl:

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

No, I never put thermal gel on the Duron, because it's not needed.

Oh, and as for you JollyOgre? Everyone around here knows you as the "Town Asshole." I wouldn't really think that I am THAT much lower than you.

Oh, and as for 2K being better than XP? IT'S CALLED AN OPINION.

Damn, you make me sick.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

thermal paste is needed on pretty much any kind of heatsink - heatsource you are trying to cool. It doesn't matter if you lap the heatsink completely smooth with 2000+grit paper for hours on end to where it is a mirror finish...you still need thermal paste for those microscopic ridges that pocket air. you will notice a temperature difference with it on compared to off...even if with it off you get your desired temps. the cooler the better :) lol.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:uh:

9. Blind-Summit

Blind-Summit Guest

This made me crack up so badly!

Point 1, get a decent MOBO. For the sake of a few extra quid to buy an ASUS / MSI etc, it will save you so much shit in the future.

Point 2, heat is your enemy. Regardless of wether a CPU can get away with it, it's best to use thermal paste anyway. Nowadays it's a "must".

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yeah, I'm using thermal paste now, because I put my 2600+ back in.

In order to keep it from overheating, I had to screw on an extra fan, an Aspire lighted 80mm. So now, the monster cooler has two fans.

Also, this is a quality board, IMO. It has about 70% of the features my brother's A7N8XE-Deluxe has.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the a7n8xe-deluxe isn't a "quality" board... and features do NOT dictate quality, anyway!

12. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

You sure about that? It runs in my bro's rig like a charm.

Are you a Chaintech fan?

13. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

haha, thats too funny, why even bother with a heatsink, just blast a huge fan in that bitch! MY a7n8xe-deluxe works fine btw..

14. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

I'm going to buy a Zalman after I work up the cash...

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Zalman is a good choice.