Default FPS games that are "on rails" or "interactive movies"

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by gui3, Oct 5, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

FPS games that are "on rails" or "interactive movies"

Since signing up for GameFly, I've taken the opportunity to play some of the older FPS shooters that I didn't feel were worth a $60 purchase back when they came out. I'm a big FPS guy, I'm big into single player campaigns, and generally I wish they'd just make the single player better rather than tack on multiplayer (unless there's some interesting mechanic you'd like to do online, like FEAR's slow-mo). I just played FEAR 2 and Resistance 2, immediately after spending months playing Fallout 3 (78 hours!).

Initially, I was frustrated by how "on-rails" these games were. One path through the game, one way to solve puzzles, no variation in how events unfold. I've heard that frustration echoed by other people saying that it's just an "interactive movie" and that the lack of open-world-ness makes it boring.

After putting some thought into it, I changed my opinion for two reasons:

(1) the open world thing can actually make things weirder than reality. in Fallout, i'd start a quest that was "urgent" (the Super Mutants took my friends!), but it didn't matter if i went and dicked around the Capital Wasteland for a week before taking care of things. that's not really more "realistic," it's just "open."

(2) the lack of options guaranteed a specific and consistent experience, and didn't allow me to ruin it by bugging out and running to the other side of the map whenever a big enemy force showed up. it made sure that i took the *interesting* path, rather than the *chosen* path (plenty of times in Fallout i'd hang way back and leisurely snipe people rather than battling up close). It's closer to a "movie" in that the tension is controlled by the director.

i guess the trick is to leave the world open enough that the player can explore a bit, keep it on rails to control the experience, but make the player feel like HE chose the path, even though he really didn't :)

what do you think?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

i play games like resistance 2 because i just want to shoot shit and blow shit up. linear game paths dont bother me in the slightest...although I do wish that there were more branching hallways and stuff (even the inclusion of dead ends...and not the turnone corner run into a wall dead end...i mean run down that corridor for a mile take 8 turns dead ends) to take that could take you towards your objective.

3. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

I play them to play through the story mode and then spend the rest of my time killing real people in multiplayer.

4. Alvin

Alvin New Member

Multiplayer in my opinion is and always has been the staple to first person shooters. It's getting even more pronounced in recent games like CoD and the newer Halo installments, where it almost seems like the multiplayer is the main focus of the franchise (thankfully) and the story mode is just there to sell the game.

5. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

this is what I prefer.

If I have to choose between Epic single player and no muli OR Decent single and Epic multi; I will go with the multiplayer every time.

6. TheGreat8

TheGreat8 OT Supporter

Get out of here stalker!

7. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

I really want to play fallout 3 again, was so fun, especially because I never tried any of the 5 addons! But school is a bitch :(

8. JohnnyChuttz

JohnnyChuttz Fucks given: 0 OT Supporter

Doing this now that the DLCs are being released for PS3.

9. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

STALKER was decent. I haven't played it but I heard Clear Sky is actually pretty good.

10. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Black raven... black raven... circling, above the graves. :hs:

But on another note, you guys just have to try Call of Pripyat. Oh my fucking GAWD...

They basically took everything that made Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky great, integrated the best of the community made material and shipped it out into one package as part of their newest game.

I tried the Russian release with translated text for all of 30 minutes before I decided it was far too good to play in such a form. I'm waiting for the proper localization files.