defagging

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicklovgren, Feb 16, 2006.

1. nicklovgren

nicklovgren The only thing that really worried me was the ethe

what programs do you guys use to defrag your computer? :mamoru:

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Windows disc defrag?

3. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

My computer is straight so I don't need those programs.

4. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Don't use the windows defrag if you can avoid it, it sucks major ass! Go get a copy of O&O defrag, it's very good and offers several kinds of defrag depending on your needs.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I don't defrag often, but I'll check it out.

Thanks,

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

:werd: Same here.

btw... :rofl: @ thread title misspelling.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  7. MrMan

MrMan New Member

lol :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

Last time I defragged with a more advanced defragger (same company that Windows hired to create Windows defragger), and it messed up some files. I just stick with what's in Windows now.

8. rimshot

rimshot New Member

the built in windows defrager works good for me

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have my servers at work set up to use the Windows Defragmenter every Sunday at 3am. Since I know they're always on, I know they'll stay pretty well defragmented even using the cheap licensed defragmenter that Windows comes with.

For all of my personal computers and for my workstation at work, I use Norton Speed Disk. It sorts the files into categories according to how often they get messed with, so the files that I never use won't get in the way of the files that I use all the time (which would cause fragmentation).

For those who are curious, I have a batch file that runs the Windows Defragmenter, so I can schedule the batch file and get around the restriction that prevents the Windows Defragmenter from being scheduled directly.

10. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Can you post the batch file? I ended up going with a freeware command line disk defragmenter so I could start a defrag routine remotely using WMI and it works great. I know there is a command line version that ships with XP but it won't work on Win2k.

11. jwynn

jwynn Yeah I Know I Dont Have Enough Posts

Diskeeper is great.

The built in Windows XP defragmenter is a lite version of Diskeeper. I use Diskeeper on a regular basis, it allows you to set a schedule for defragmenting and most importantly allows you to defrag and increase the size of your MFT and also you can defrag your paging file if you need to.

12. deusexaethera

date /t >> UnfragDates.txt
    defrag c: /v > FragReportC.txt
    exit

This is a slightly complicated version of what COULD be a single line: "defrag c:" The extra stuff appends the date of the defragmentation onto the end of a text file so I can see if it's running regularly, and prints out the defrag report to another text file so I can see how much improved the disk is as a result. To make it defrag multiple drives, just copy and past the defrag command and change the drive letter. Then schedule the batch file to run whenever you want.

This works on WinXP and Win2k3. It does not work on Win2k. Win2k doesn't have a command-line defragmenter.

13. deusexaethera

Every time I've tried to use Diskeeper, I've gotten fed up with it. As much as I wish the Windows Defragmenter had more functionality, the last function I want is for the defragmenter to be constantly polling the disk's table of contents and defragmenting files when I'm playing video games or watching movies. Maybe there's a way to tell it to stop, but I find it easier to just manually use Norton Speed Disk every couple of weeks. Not to mention Speed Disk sorts the files as well as defragments them.

As far as the pagefile is concerned, my policy is to set the pagefile to a fixed size of 1GB IMMEDIATELY after Windows finishes installing, and then never touch it again. It never fragments in the first place, that way.

The one time I defragged my disk's table of contents file, it messed up the file and I had to ghost the drive to get it to stop bitching about how the MFT was about to go to shit.

14. samm

samm Next in Line

15. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

And how does this help the poster?

Does it say "pissing contest entry" in the title?

Tru64 Advfs v4 also have vfast tunables where you can do load balance block i/o across luns on a file system, plus you can turn on defragmenting to run in real-time or make it dependent on the percentage of I/O activity. Priorities types of files, etc. Veritas vxfs has limited run-time defrag, but I set up cron jobs to stagger file system defragmentation during the week.

But you know what? Who gives a shit.

gtfo fanboy

16. samm

samm Next in Line

Since the title of the thread was "defagging" instead of defragging and he used the "kekekegay" smiley I assumed the thread was a joke. No need to get your panties in a wad.

17. darla

darla Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through

Raxco's PerfectDisk

18. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

K yeah, XP and above comes with a command line defragger. Unfortunatly, it doesn't work on 2k.

19. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

Diskeeper

20. deusexaethera

Only on a server, and only if the hard drive never had a chance to get badly fragmented. Otherwise, Diskeeper will run around in circles trying to defrag the drive forever. And you don't want a desktop machine to be defragging while you're trying to play a game or watch a movie.

21. jwynn

jwynn Yeah I Know I Dont Have Enough Posts

I have used diskeeper on multiple computers for over a year and never had a single problem with it, weird so many others have.

As for defragging while your working on it, simple solution: dont start or schedule a defrag for when you are using the computer.