GUN Deer Rifle Suggestions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Oct 10, 2005.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

I did search but I get mixed results and opinions. I am going deer hunting next month and need a rifle. My Dad and uncle are using Remington .270 but I am kinda partial to the lever action of a Winchester or Marlin 30-30. We are going to be in west Texas so the terrain is fairly flat and most likely brush and short trees.

What grain would I need to effectively and at average ranges take down a deer?

If you wouldn't recommend a 30-30 then what would you recommend? Someone told me a 22/250 would do the trick like a .270 would.

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Well if you're shooting at long ranges over flat ground, a 30-30 is not the best gun for the job. A 30-30 is more of a brush gun for shorter range shots in thick brush.

I'd recommend a Savage bolt action.. for the money you can't beat them, and go with either .270 , .308 , or 30-06 for good accuracy, power, and ammo availability.

EDIT: sorry, didnt see the "brush and short trees"..

yeah a 30-30 should be fine, but if you plan on taking longer shots, go with a different, flatter caliber.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

With a .30-30 it would probably be best to keep your shots within 150yds or so. If you want a new rifle I'd go with Krott's advice and buy a Savage or even a Stevens. Hell, you can get a Stevens 200 in .270 for around $275 and they're more or less a Savage. Oh and anyone who would reccomend a .22-250 for deer has no business hunting them.

4. mrbill

mrbill New Member

another option is an NEF Handi Rifle, they're cheap and from what i've heard, decent guns. it is a single shot, so you'll have to make each round count.

5. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

30-30 is fine.

6. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

.308 for teh win

7. texchef

texchef Guest

OK, since I see that a 30-30 would do it what grain ammo should I look for? Also, what power scope?

8. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Go with the .270 or .308. It's not all just flat with brush. You'll have places where there's a hill and you can see forever. And you will kick yourself if all you have is a 30-30.

Where are you going?

9. texchef

texchef Guest

I think I am leaning more towards .270. Slightly more affordable since I found out yesterday we are going and we will be there the 1st weekend in Nov. Not a ton of time to buy real nice so budget .270 w/scope is the way i will go.

We are going to a lease out in west Texas near Midland. My cousin found some land where we can get on for $100 per person per day and get on for free on Friday to scope it out. We will be the only ones on the lease that weekend too so it should be good. Being a chef the prospect of deer meat and bones for stock is like Christmas coming early.

BTW, I have ALWAYS loved you avatar. :naughty:

10. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Yeah, you're definately going to have shots beyond the range of a 30-30. I'm jealous, I haven't even started planning a deer trip this year. Good luck.

Did you notice the new and improved pumpkin skin bikini? :rofl:

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

great choice.. my entire family shoots a .270 for deer.. great round.

12. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

.243 is a great deer round too. If you really want a nice gun... look into a remington 700 BDL.

13. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I'd get a CDL or a Classic over the BDL just so I wouldn't have to look at the BDL's hideous california style stock.

14. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

accurate, butits a pain because its a breach action rifle, so it messes up the scope if you have once almost everytime you open it, plus of course you want a follow up shot if you mess up which just isnt possible in this one, i own the H&R supervarmint in .223 (same thing only accuritized), takes out pennies at 100yds easily, but its a breach so its also a bitch