GUN Deer last weekend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RRTX, Nov 17, 2003.

1. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I thought I would post this here after what happened when someone posted their deer hunting story last night in the OT forum lol.

Here is the 8 point I got Saturday morning. I got him at about 280 yards with a Savage .22-250, he ran about 20 yards then dropped. When we were cleaning him there was a perfect bullet hole straight thru the center of his heart. We got the kill on video, and got a great vid of him fighting with another buck a few minutes before. His backstrap and ribs and a few tenderloins made for good eating that afternoon :yum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The doe one of my friends got about 30 seconds later in a stand about 1/4 mile away with a Remington model 700 .30-06
    [​IMG]

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:cool:

Gun season starts next week here.

3. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

Nice Bag. I shot a 6 point with a rack about the size of your 8 last weekend at 100 yards with my Knight. Went just this weekend and noticed I am having some serious troubles with my scope but saw plenty of doe. Looks like time for a Leupold after this season. I'll be hunting in Halifax VA where two 220lb 8 points were taken this year all next week.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Very nice, and that was me that posted that last night.

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Thanks, we actually thought he was a little bigger than he ended up being. First time out with the new spotting scope, I guess it was magnifying things a little more than we were used to lol. There are a couple of cull bucks we are trying to get off the lease before the season is up, there is one with a large, extremely messed up rack that I would like to have mounted, one of the antlers points forward and the other backwards. :eek3:

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You have awfully small deer in TX. :o

:cool: that you ate it that day, i'd like to learn how to clean and cook a deer properly. i'm not a hunter, but i'd like to learn the prep just to say i could get by with a gun, knife and a pack of matches, yanno? Sounds like a good afternoon there. :big grin:

7. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Ya, deer in this part of TX are not all that big, out in west Texas though you'll find some huge ones. Once you've cleaned them a couple times it becomes very easy. We do the entire processing ourselves, make the cuts of meat that you want right there in camp and one of my friends dad's takes whatever is going to be turned into hamburger/sausage home and does that himself.

8. jrmy

jrmy Guest

pretty nice you lucky dog you....haven't even seen one yet our farm land sucks this year

9. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

I picked one off on monday, small 3 point buck, but had a larger than average body. He got a 95gr. bullet in the neck at 100 yards, dropped him where he stood. Made for some good eating later that night! :)

10. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I'm glad we don't have to go thru that here :o Buy your license and you have 5 deer total you can harvest.