SRS Deeply interested in a genomics\scientific career, at a crossroad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Spiritus, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Currently 19. Oriented towards an electrian because of 'non amazing' highschool grades. This will not make me happy, I want to be involved in genomics or nanotechnology.

My weak previous ideas were that I could not tackle university and that I was hopeless for a math\chemistry\bio oriented course which is a huge, huge interest of mine.

I chose to follow up on a electrian path because I could expand it to security systems or become a contracter for money and somehow just follow \ support geonomics on the sideline.

After discussing some genomics with a member of an online forum I have become so intrigued I may just do something completely radical. I may redo some courses in highschool through a GED to achieve university grade. I am near that, and capable if I optomize myself.

My math skills are weak.

My chemistry skills can be well.

My biology skills are great.

My computer skills are amazing.

Now people on this forum would have some idea of 'what it takes' and 'can I make it?'

Nanotech seems math heavy. Genomics seems more chemistry\biology heavy. Math is a bitch and chemistry is part math, but I could handle that... I hope.

Until now I had no idea of what my calling in life was. Now I feel that if I don't act now, I may not enjoy life to the potential I might have. I won't let this drag me down, but damn... it's all I talk about. That and nanotechnology, and higher spirituality and the fruits of knowlage.

I would feel weak, very weak indeed... if I did not at least consider this or perhaps a lesser yet related field.

Honestly, what advice can you give me?

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

It would be useful to add my grades.

Math was 50, 50, then nothing. Out of 6 credits I got the four nessesary. I was bored with math, never did homework, just slipped by. I did use drugs that severely damaged my ability to do math. I'm now clean and I feel much more capable. What an idiot I was then, but I was in a situation.

Biology was around 70 consistantly despite marijuana\ativan usage. That kills attention span and memory. I take tons of smart drugs and have quit the dope. I bet I could unleash that into around a 90 now.

Chemistry I find very interesting, the brief dip I had in it wasen't enough to show my true interest but I did pass the course.

My trades courses... well I had 100 and 98 in that...

Economics wasen't so great. Again, interest = learning, and my interest was weak.

uhm if another course is important go ahead and ask.

thanks for reading... it's hard to find good help and I hope I find some here... I'm gonna need a good catalsyt to start this 5-10 year journey

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If biology is your calling, then persue it with everything you've got. You don't have to be a straight A student to excel at teh biology and have a very rewarding career. Whats more, you'll find that your grades can improve if you are fascinated by what you are learning. Go for it.

I almost got a degree in teh biology. Never finished Organic Chem II though. My school was very molecular-ly oriented.

Oh and electrian = electrician?

4. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

yeah electrician, damn spelling.

Biology is certainly my calling. I love everything that God has created around me, I want to preserve it and study it. I would like to alter and augument it for the bennifit of mankind.

I would be very driven to succeed.

My father is trying to kill my motives immediatly, putting me down and calling me a doper. This just drives me to succeed harder! He's always been trying to put me down and wants me to just get this trade job, have four kids and bite the dirt. My mother will try hard to kindle the passion inside me because she's seen that I have changed much.

An intrigal part of my success I must admit will be stopping drug use completely during university. This will be hard. I'll need to do a lot of pychological reinforcing so the walls don't fall around me.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You sound religious... just to be sure, (just checking) are you willing to apply the theory of evolution, even if you don't believe it?

Yeah, in order to be successful you need to stop abusing drugs completely. So... stop. Now. Today. If you can't... NA. Go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. Today. You can put it off... but if you keep doing that, you'll have to accept that you're just kidding yourself about this dream.

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I am willing to apply the theory of evoloution.

I am relegious, but I would not let relegion get in the way of studying something. An old but good book is not meant to hold back human progress and there is no punishment for picking and choosing what you find ideal in the bible as a christian. I bind to no sect of Christianity. I beleive God died on the cross and I find the bible of value. While I am baptized and confirmed anglican I do not conform to their paticular views. This matters not.

And I do in fact beleive in evoloution. Men are not perfect and since God did not write the bible, why do we bind ourselves so strongly to every word. Word written by man at that.

I have stopped using drugs. Stopped now, today, yesterday, for at least 2 weeks. Noticed a world of difference in my life. Feel high all the time on just my supplements, my mind untapped.

If I fall again I will be forced to re-inforce myself through drastic messures. I mean I'm not using heroin but I cannot be doped up, I know I have only one shot through university and I won't be fuckin it up.

The worse thing about my career and generally life would be joking myself about this and just falling back to the blue collar trade. Would that make me very depressed? Yes. Will I let that happen? Over some stupid weed and other drugs? Not a fucking chance.

I've done enough hallucinating up to this point, I think I got the majority of my partying out. Of course partying is part of college but I must make it a strong - very strong point to keep it to just that, parties, and not be partying all the time.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I would definitly do it, forfill your dreams.

And let those who put you down burn in hell.

You don't achieve anything with negative thinking, so that's not the road to go. Positive forwards into the future is my motto.

Besides i have a good laugh when i see my own father contracting all the muscles in his face when you have it your own way and refuse to be pulled down by his negative thinking.