Deep Questions about the Matrix

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by cleethree, Nov 23, 2003.

1. cleethree

cleethree Guest

Question 1:Come on now, how can this be? This would be a weak plot if Morpheus’ revelation were not plausible. What makes the above statement plausible?
    Question 2: Morpheus uses the word “truth.” How do you understand this word? Is he right in pointing out that there is an objective truth?
    Question 3: Morpheus assumes that the captive humans are not aware that what they take to be real is not the truth. Is there any way for the captive humans of grasping that they are indeed systematically deluded about the truth?
    Question 4: Could this pass as a metaphor for our lives? The speech I quoted above reminds the educated viewer of a famous ancient philosophical allegory – Plato’s story of the cave. Plato meant this as an allegory for the human condition. In that case, we all live in the Matrix. Is the Matrix an allegory for the human condition? [If still in doubt, check your dictionaries for the meaning of the word “allegory.”]
    Question 5: Neo is given a choice between a red pill and a blue pill. The blue pill will allow him to remain as he is, and, assume, would even relax him and make him feel happy. The red pill, on the other hand, will allow him to begin to discern the truth but at high risk. Which pill would you choose to take, and why?
    Question 6: Neo chooses to take the red pill. He then experiences the nightmarish world of the Matrix with human brains hooked onto the virtual-reality stimulants. Neo refuses to believe that this reality. Morpheus tells him: “What is real? How do you define real? If you’re talking about your senses, what you feel, taste, smell, or see, then all you’re talking about are electrical signals interpreted by the brain.” Do you agree with this statement about the nature of reality or not, and why?
    Question 7 – this is a bonus question, to boost your grade if you answer intelligently: An additional complication arises. Is Neo the expected Savior? Don’t worry about this part but check out something: Even the Matrix cannot know or forecast who Neo is but there is a presumed Oracle who is able to do this. “[The Oracle] sees beyond the relativity of time. For her, there is no past, present, or future. [For her] there is only what [truly] is.”
    Given what you have read about time, and about a priori truths, in this course, does this make sense?
  2. kentertainer

kentertainer Guest

Those are good questions. I don't have time to answer them all, but I would like to answer two of them. First of all, question #2. Yes, there certainly is an objective truth. People in the Matrix believed that their life there is all that there was. This is obviously a lie. The reality is that people live outside of the Matrix. The humans don't know the truth of the fact that their entire world is only real in their heads, and that they are merely being used as an energy source for the machines.

Question #7: I think that the end of Revolutions definitely shows that Neo is the expected Savior, the One. His sacrifice is what ultimately defeated Agent Smith and paved the way for the humans to be able to be set free. That is, of course, if they want to be set free. It's still their choice. If this doesn't spell Savior I don't know what does.
  3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

do your homework somewhere else.
  4. logikbomb

logikbomb Who's there? Cuz you're gonna get nothin but holes

Oct 24, 2003
    No I do not agree with that. The construct program (the program they were in when morpheus said that) and the matrix itself do send the same electrical signals to the brain and so do "appear" to be real. However if i were to press to "off" button on either the construct program and/or the matrix neo/all the humans would get up and go "wtf?" and quickly realize that what they weren't experiencing was not real.

reality is not an objective term as some who misinterpreted this film would have you believe. reality can be simulated, but there's always the "off" switch.