WEB Dedicated server, how does that work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vtec44, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

I've always used shared hosting account, but starting to consider getting a dedicated server due to the ammount of sites and traffic lately. How does that work as far as maintaining patches to the OS, installing software, binding IP addresses, etc? Do you have to do that yourself?

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

You can get managed or unmanaged Dedicated servers managed they look after alot of that stuff unmanaged its all yours.

3. autox

autox OT Supporter

its definitely a little more complicated than it usually is with a shared hosting plan, but it's SO worth it. I'm on liquidweb right now and they're amazing.

4. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm not a security expert or have the time to follow up with all the latest patches on all the installed software, so the thought of doing that myself in addition to maintaining my own sites kind of deter me from going dedicated. But if managed server is taken care of by the hosts, then it would be awesome. For the most part, familiar with DOS and comfortable with shell commands in Linux.

5. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

you should go with the managed, dedicated option.

6. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

Same here,the best part about liquid web is the support....frankly thats the #1 thing you should look for when getting a dedicated server. Sure 1&1 is pretty cheap, but their support is crap, you'll spend a week getting a hold of the person.

With the liquidweb I had a DNS problem, so I sent it in, got a reply in 5 minutes, and then had a back and forth between myself and the support guy where I sent an email and a minute later I got a reply. This is email btw, their phone support is supposed to be even better(although I never had to use it)

7. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

we use nat net for our dedicated boxes, but hope to move to engineyard soon

8. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

A decent reseller account might be more appropriate in this instance.

A dedicated is really the best option for when you either need the power of the entire CPU/RAM/disk access/network to yourself, or for when you need the flexibility of installing everything exactly to your requirements.

If you don't take the managed option (which can be expensive) then you are responsible for security - firewall, kernel upgrades, apache compilation etc etc. If you're not familiar with server administration and security and the sites are important, you'll probably want someone else to manage it for you.

9. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I use the planet. Couldn't be happier.

10. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

just got my dedicated setup over at ThePlanet at the end of march, no problems so far.

11. sewid

sewid Nissan Junkie

I'm with the planet too. Good network and zero downtime so far.

It's a lot more work to manage your own server and security is a big issue. If you're not able to spend the time on that then you need to go for a managed dedicated server but the costs are higher.

12. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

you can get a cheap dedicated server for like 100 bucks, I'm sorry but if you are using the net to make any amount of money, you might as well pay a few extra dollars every month to get the added performance.