GUN Decock-Only vs. DAO

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by machine81, Sep 21, 2005.

1. machine81

machine81 New Member

What's the difference between a "decock-only" and a DAO? I'm new to handguns and am having a little trouble with the terminology.

I'm looking for a home-protection handgun. I don't want to break the bank (under $500), but I want a reliable gun. From what I've heard, the most reliable handgun is a revolver, but I'm concerned about the small capacity and width of the cylinder (I may want to use it as a conceal carry later on). For the most part though, I've been looking at pistols. I like Taurus, Magnum Research, and Ruger. Can anyone give suggestions as to revolver vs. pistol and manufacturer reliability?

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Decock means the gun will drop the hammer on a live round without discharging it. Found on DA/SA guns. Can fire either with the hammer down or hammer cocked. YOu can fire the gun by cocking the hammer then pulling trigger, or just pulling the trigger with the hammer down from the decocker.

If you are scared of carrying a cocked and loaded gun, get a DAO or DA/SA. On SA guns with external hammers you can lower the hammer down carefully onto a live round, be careful though, you let the hammer drop, your thumb is getting fucked up by the slide.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Double Action Only means that there is no external hammer, you load the magazine, insert into pistol, chamber a round, and the gun is ready to fire. The first and all subsequent shots will have the same length and trigger pull weight. Glocks are safe action pistols, but represent a DAO function, just like the Springfield XD series. Decock only means that there is an external hammer that is cocked back when the slide is racked, and in order to lower the hammer, you must either pull the trigger, or depress the decocking lever. This type of gun will have the same length and weight of trigger pull if the hammer is back on the first shot, but if it can be fired with the hammer down, the first shot will be long and heavy, while all shots after that will have a lighter and shorter trigger pull.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Just to add to what has already been said, there is really no overwhelming advantage to either. Many manufacturers make popular models in both types. Sig, Beretta, Walther, and HK do, off the top of my head.

It really comes down to personal preference and what you are going to do with it.

Also, some DAO models do have external hammers, although they usually lack a hammer spur so you can't thumb them back.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Double Action = the hammer is decocked, and the long ass heavy trigger pull will cock the hammer and fire it.

Single action means the hammer is already cocked, and the trigger pull is relatively short and light, and the firing the round will recock the hammer, so the next shot will also be single action.

DAO means double action only, and every shot is going to be long and heavy.. good for a carry pistol I guess, but I prefer DA/SA..

the first shot will be Double Action (unless you cock the hammer first), and the follow up shots will be Single Action.

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

So, is Decock-Only and DA/SA the same thing? The concept of DAO, DA/SA, and SA are clear to me, but I'm still not understanding Decock-Only. I've only seen it on Ruger's webpage too. Is that just their name for DA/SA?

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Decock Only refers to the fact that the weapon has no manual safety. Apparently Ruger offers models where the decock lever also functions as a manual safety. On regular models, when you use the decocking lever, it stays down and functions as a manual safety. In decock only models, the decocking lever springs back up, and the pistol can be fired DA. Beretta offers the same thing on their Model 92G.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

decock-only means its most likely a DA/SA, when you rack the slide, it cocks the hammer.. you can decock it with the decocker.. most DA/SA pistols have a safety that also acts as a decocker.. to decock it, you put the safe on, then you can take the safe off to ready the pistol in DA mode for the first shot.

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

Got it! Thanks for the help.

10. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I thought the XD was a single action striker fired.

Am i totally off?

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

it is.